Festool CTL26E Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danst96

Established Member
Reaction score
A bit of a background to my question here:

I am moving to Canada in the near future as some may have seen previously. I have a few different Festool tools in 110v. Canada use 110v as standard. I spoke to Festool directly about taking my tools there and they confirmed there would be no issue and it would be as simple as changing the cord to have the correct plug on the end. There is a difference in hz between UK and Canada (50hz here, 60hz there) however they also assured me this would be no issues and the fairly extensive internet trawling I have done confirmed this would be fine and there are many examples of people taking UK 110v Festool to USA/Canada successfully.

I have been buying the Festool stuff here because its cheaper after tax than Canada and I have jobs i need it for while im still here. So I purchased the CTL26E last week however there is a glaring difference compared to all of the tools now that I have received it. On the box it says not for use in North America 😫 Then on the label on the machine, it says 110v (GB). It is the only Festool tool I have that has the (GB) on the label.

I called Festool about this and they didn't know so needed to ask the technical team to call me which I am still waiting on. I also spoke to the company that sold me the tool and they said they weren't sure but wondered if its less of a power thing and maybe more because it is hard wired so would require the plug to be chopped off and replaced or if it could be due to the different dealership set up in the North America market meaning they don't offer aftercare on this particular machine there. The only other thing that crosses my mind is the 60hz will cause the 50hz motors spin slightly faster than here which apparently is not a problem and nothing to be concerned by but I wondered that for whatever reason could it be an issue for the CTL26E. I have a need to use this tool this evening but I don't want to use it in case I need to return it.

A bit of a long shot here but if there is anyone who knows the exact answer to this or would have any ideas, id be glad to know.

I dont know if this helps you or not, but I have a number of Festool tools (all 240v and battery tools with 240v chargers) and quite a few of them have
" Not for use in North America " on the systainer label....??!!

My opinion is, it is to do with the moulded plug that comes with all there 240v equipment.

I'm not too sure, but I thought some of the UK Festool 110v tools dont come with the yellow 110v commando plug, so you should be able to just remove that plug when you get to Canada and replace it with a compatible 110v Canadian version....

I dont know if this helps you or not, but I have a number of Festool tools (all 240v and battery tools with 240v chargers) and quite a few of them have
" Not for use in North America " on the systainer label....??!!

My opinion is, it is to do with the moulded plug that comes with all there 240v equipment.

I'm not too sure, but I thought some of the UK Festool 110v tools dont come with the yellow 110v commando plug, so you should be able to just remove that plug when you get to Canada and replace it with a compatible 110v Canadian version....
That would make sense for the 240v tools as they wouldnt work with the voltage difference.

Festool and online forums all say its as simple as replacing the plug with the 110v stuff as you say, its just the CTL26 which as the sticker saying, not for use in North America which has thrown me.

Festool technical team rang me back (one of the original guys apparently, been there since 99 when there was only 2 people in the UK) and said officially it wont work in North America but you have done your own research 😉

Said it may or may not work. He said all new tools will have that sticker. There are other reasons too such as USA uses a different standard to CE etc. They officially are not allowed to sell to any markets outside the UK.

Also a fun fact he left with me was they sell around 1000 TS55s a month in the UK. A total of 150k are sold worldwide each year.

Was a very pleasant gentleman.

There is a difference in hz between UK and Canada (50hz here, 60hz there)
Yes with Ac motors this will give you increased RPM, and Canada I believe is 120 volts but in the UK it is not 110 but 55-0-55 volts. There is a guy from Canada on these forums and he will know a definitive answer,

That would make sense for the 240v tools as they wouldnt work with the voltage difference.

Festool and online forums all say its as simple as replacing the plug with the 110v stuff as you say, its just the CTL26 which as the sticker saying, not for use in North America which has thrown me.

They do have 220v in North America!!....And obviously I wasn't suggesting running 220v/240v tools off a 110v supply Dan...:rolleyes:.....Give me a bit of credit.

The reason I mentioned 240v was purely because of what it states on my UK 240v Systainer cases. I dont think the reason it states what it does has anything to do with the voltage!

Extractors are the only machines that have a socket in them- much harder to change than a plug. This is probably why it gets special treatment. So if you want to use it in Canada, you may have to have different plug it cables depending on whether you are plugging into the wall or the extract.

Take a couple trailing sockets with you when you go, so worst case scenario means you have to make a lead or two for your extraxtor

RK

They do have 220v in North America!!....And obviously I wasn't suggesting running 220v/240v tools off a 110v supply Dan...:rolleyes:.....Give me a bit of credit.

The reason I mentioned 240v was purely because of what it states on my UK 240v Systainer cases. I dont think the reason it states what it does has anything to do with the voltage!
Sorry, I didn't mean to be disparaging 😄. Sounded worse out loud.

Hopefully it is all good

They do in Aus and at 50Hz, plus they drive on the same side of the road. Usa is 120 volts @ 60 Hz same as Canada as far as I am aware, don't think it has changed.

Most houses in the US do have 220v into the consumer unit but the majority of people dont have a 220v circuit installed in the property.

I can assure you, a lot of woodworkers do tap into the 220v supply for their machines that require 220v.

Most houses in the US do have 220v into the consumer unit but the majority of people dont have a 220v circuit installed in the property.

I can assure you, a lot of woodworkers do tap into the 220v supply for their machines that require 220v.
This is what I intend to do, I've got a Laguna F3 on order in Canada that will require 220v power.

Every house in Canada has 220 volts. But only usually a few outlets. One for the electric stove, one for hot water heater, one for dryer and then a couple. In the garage if you get them installed. The breakers in the panel
just bridge two 110 volt circuits giving you 220 volts. But on a job site all tools are 110 volts. Even table saws etc.

I suspect there is more than one issue for the sticker in the vac.

As others have pointed out, the power lead is moulded and fixed (not a plug it type) so you’ll have to do some modification that would be frowned on (certainly in Europe anyway).

The power take off will have a uk 110v “site” type socket which would be unsuitable for the North American market (but saves you having to replace all your plug it cords).

The dust filtration standards are different (I’m not saying they’re built differently, but it might well be than your need the correct approval sticker/badging to bring a vac on site).

Regardless, a major consideration I would have with buying any product out of region is the warranty/support, which you pay through the nose for with Festool (and is great). Presumably Festool US/Canada won’t touch your UK market tools and Festool UK won’t send DPD out to Canada to collect from you next day? Where does this leave you if something goes wrong?

As others have pointed out, the power lead is moulded and fixed (not a plug it type) so you’ll have to do some modification that would be frowned on (certainly in Europe anyway).

The power take off will have a uk 110v “site” type socket which would be unsuitable for the North American market (but saves you having to replace all your plug it cords).

The dust filtration standards are different (I’m not saying they’re built differently, but it might well be than your need the correct approval sticker/badging to bring a vac on site).

Regardless, a major consideration I would have with buying any product out of region is the warranty/support, which you pay through the nose for with Festool (and is great). Presumably Festool US/Canada won’t touch your UK market tools and Festool UK won’t send DPD out to Canada to collect from you next day? Where does this leave you if something goes wrong?
If your house burnt down here using that tool with a changed plug. Insurance would not pay out that’s for sure.

Yes with Ac motors this will give you increased RPM, and Canada I believe is 120 volts but in the UK it is not 110 but 55-0-55 volts. There is a guy from Canada on these forums and he will know a definitive answer,
NO! this is incorrect. All the festools I know of use motors where the speed is independent of frequency

Regarding the warranty, I checked this wirh festool and they said I can register for Canadian warranty and there would be no issue with this. I registered it and it went through fine so I'm hopeful there will be no issues

NO! this is incorrect. All the festools I know of use motors where the speed is independent of frequency
So Festool are using electronically commutated motors, otherwise the Ac frequency and number of poles are the governing factors. Also just remembered the Canadian guy, it is @Inspector and he will know about the power supply in Canadaand maybe using european tools there.

No Roy, they use brush motors just like virtually all hand and small power tools and the speed is unrelated to supply frequency and remains the same when powered from DC or AC
The behaviour that you are alluding to is that of induction motors where to a first approximation, the speed is proportional to supply frequency (ignoring slip)

Back