Cracking Burl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Spent a long time roughing out a burl bowl today. 3 Guesses what happened....

Dsc_0781.jpg

:(

Dsc_0786.jpg

:cry:

Dsc_0789.jpg

Oh well. I think I've kept it wrong and it's cracked. It just started to turn well too. It was a bit punky but since I've packed up and come in the house, it's dried out nicely. I should have stopped when I got it roundish and let it dry a bit more.

You live and learn. I hope it's not all gone like that. Will have another go tomorrow.

It does look a bit far gone Tom, probably not helped by using the chuck jaws in a recess, they can cause some serious force that can split the wood if overtightened.

I would use a spigot or small faceplate if the blank was deep enough, or glue to a firmer/sound piece of timber and use that as a spigot if the blank is a bit shallow (you do need to reverse chuck at the end though to tidy up in that event).

Cheers, Paul :D

Meant to say. I turned 2 spigots and each one crumbled with a light poke of the finger. So I'm not surprised it cracked but I thought I'd keep going just in case ;)

I wanted to ask actually. Even when I got it round, I couldn't get the speed up. I don't know what the rpms where, but it was much slower than normal. It was vibrating like mad. Why was this?

As a guess I would say because the burl parts of the blank were sounder and heavier and the rest of the blank very punky and light, so that even if round, the blank would be very out of balance. Should still be a speed at which the vibrations even out though....

Cheers, Paul :D

Devo wizer..it looked like it was going to be a nice bowl..
I lost a piece this morning but like you am ok about it well not ok
as we put a lot of work in to the wood...lol
You can see where the split has followed the grain..shame the burl
looks so good finished. Have you got another chunk to try again..?
Wonder if any member has any Ideas of a small rescue...
Better luck on next time....:wink:
alex

stevebuk":1aa0pfzt said:
pity that Tom, looks like the beginings of a great bowl, is it not worth glueing up.

I think life's too short TBH Steve. I might do. I'll have a look at it later.

tom, that is a real shame mate. i too had a very very s%$£ day too. i have been doing a pen set in irish bog yew and put on the ca finish and had to take it all off again. a total of 6 times, so i decided to call it a day. so i will give it another go later on today.

Lightweeder":2fxnj88q said:
I had a c**p day yesterday also wizer. There's always today and tomorrow :wink:

I have been looking forward to getting a few days turning for ages, Once in there? three days of continual diasters!! :oops: :evil: #-o
You would think I had never turned (or glued up a segmented piece) in my life!! I made a lot of firewood! and had a day off it yesterday.

But as quoted, there is always tomorrow ... provided there is no alien invasion tonight! :lol:

I would still be a bit wary of gluing it back together,as it might just do the same :shock:
Shame as it would have made a nice piece looking at it :roll:

Plane the two edges off smooth, glue together with dowel keeping the sections apart so the dowels are visible and then finish off. Could look good? Worth a try.
]
Pete

Hmm, what a pain, been there and done a few times.

What I do now is to fill the spigot with super glue [ CA] use the thinest stuff you can find, pour it in and give plenty of time to set. So far this has worked well for me and prevented a few heart stopping moments

mrs. sliver":22wo9r2l said:
Lightweeder":22wo9r2l said:
I had a c**p day yesterday also wizer. There's always today and tomorrow :wink:

I have been looking forward to getting a few days turning for ages, Once in there? three days of continual diasters!! :oops: :evil: #-o
You would think I had never turned (or glued up a segmented piece) in my life!! I made a lot of firewood! and had a day off it yesterday.

But as quoted, there is always tomorrow ... provided there is no alien invasion tonight! :lol:

Weird :shock: So many saying the same thing. Can't even blame it on the moon (as I usually do :wink: :wink: )

Back