courrier for large machinery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a machine on ebay for my workshop, its too big for me to collect, does anyone know a company or person who can pick up and deliver heavy items?

Palletline. For smallish stuff the wagon should have a tail lift & pallet truck. The goods will have been palleted strapped and sheeted. For bigger stuff you'll likely need a flatbed / curtain sider and forklift.

What's the required journey? That may help with any recommendations
Brian
Well this one is Norwich to Wimbourne, I've not bought it yet or bidded as I need to figure out how to move it first. It's a spindle moulder so reasonably weighty.

Palletforce network.
I've had good service from this network since I had them collect my very first machine for renovation in 2017 ? A one ton, double pallet load.
If the pallet has to cover a long distance then it may pass through the hands of more than one member but a good relationship with your local company is worth building as they will be managing everything on your behalf.

Remember that the pallet company aren't there to pack the machine for you. You are dependent on the seller to get a pallet, bolt and / or strap the machine down securely, wrap it with industrial clingfilm if you are really lucky and secure all the accessories to, or inside, the machine securely. A 1 metre cube pallet load doesn't include a sliding fence flapping in the breeze or sticking out waiting to be bent. It's worth making sure that the seller understands and is willing to do their part before you commit to buy.

I have also used the white van man machinery mover recommended by one seller for a Sedgwick planer thicknesser. The guy didn't have a clue and the planer was just heaved about by the tables. #1 no no for a PT. Never again. Proper pallet shipment or it has to be close enough / a good enough deal to be worth hiring a Luton with a tail lift and go get it yourself.

Last edited:
If you're getting a delivery from any of these Pallet shippers and you DON'T have lifting machinery at your end, get confirmation in writing from them that they will bring it on a truck with a way to get it OFF the truck.

My experience is that 2 out of 3 times if you specify "no lifting equipment on site" they will turn up with no way to get it off the truck.

I still have flashbacks to pushing a 1/4 ton dividing head out the back of a truck to land in a pile of tires.

If it’s already strapped to a pallet, then Palletways or Speedshift are generally fine. Get a few pics of it before transport to show it’s secure.

If not on a pallet, ring round local machinery movers. A good one will lift the machine, take it to their yard and strap to a pallet for onward courier.

I recently bought a Tom Senior mill that was sat in a garage in Southampton. Phil Bascombe Transport of your neck of the woods went out and rolled it out, lifted it and took to their yard, strapped it to a pallet. That cost £240, then Speedshift took it all the way to Inverness for about £120. Not too bad, I thought.

I had trouble once when the machine was slightly longer than the pallet....
Didn't thick it would matter.....now depending on sizepallet/machine I'll make a custom pallet....

Also look at pallet monkey.....
they moved a Wadkin RS lathe from Blackpool to Peterbough for about £120.....
again make sure they have a tail lift /pallet truck.....
this YOU specify when asking for a quote....

Assume all couriers goal is to destroy what you're sending and work accordingly. If it's cheap enough/sturdy enough that you're willing to take the risk, use palletline. If not, do it yourself. Main problem I have had is that sellers are generally not equipped to secure heavy machinery to a good strong pallet. When I sell machinery I generally don't take the risk any more and let the buyer arrange the courier - that way it's not my problem if it gets broken.
Case in point - last year I sold a large sliding dimension saw, similar to a wadkin pk. Built an extra strong skid out of 3x3 timber, bolted and steel strapped the saw to it, shrink wrapped it - the full works. Courier still somehow managed to flip it completely over, smashing several castings in the process. Luckily for me the buyer had arranged the transport - I was still gutted given how much effort I'd put into fixing it up!

Assume all couriers goal is to destroy what you're sending and work accordingly. If it's cheap enough/sturdy enough that you're willing to take the risk, use palletline. If not, do it yourself. Main problem I have had is that sellers are generally not equipped to secure heavy machinery to a good strong pallet. When I sell machinery I generally don't take the risk any more and let the buyer arrange the courier - that way it's not my problem if it gets broken.
Case in point - last year I sold a large sliding dimension saw, similar to a wadkin pk. Built an extra strong skid out of 3x3 timber, bolted and steel strapped the saw to it, shrink wrapped it - the full works. Courier still somehow managed to flip it completely over, smashing several castings in the process. Luckily for me the buyer had arranged the transport - I was still gutted given how much effort I'd put into fixing it up!
Fell off a tail lift I expect...

I'm looking to buy a machine on ebay for my workshop, its too big for me to collect, does anyone know a company or person who can pick up and deliver heavy items?
May be able to help. Collection and delivery points. Size and weight needed
David

Back