Countersink drill set advice sought

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atari Boy

Reaction score
I need to make a good number of countersunk drill holes into to softwood for a project.

I looking to get the pilot hole and countersinking completed together to save time.

Can anybody recommend a good quality countersink drill bit set, please?

There seem to be quite a few cheap sets available, which I’m suspicious of and would rather buy a set that lasts.

Many thanks.

I don't think you can get them as a set, but the dewalt ones are the only ones I've tried worth anything.

I have some I bought as a set in a little wooden box, you know the sort of thing... I think they were Aldi (not that I'm knocking Aldi, some of their stuff's great). They are rubbish.
I then bought a couple individually from B and Q (Black and Decker, I think) and they've been very good.

I was laying ply on our bathroom floor and screwing every 8 inches, so a lot of holes.

I’ve had the Trend set with the plug cutters for a few years now. Can’t fault it to be honest.

Bm101":m0b0vitx said:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dewalt-DT7612-Flip-Drive-Set-Drill-Driver-DT7612XJ-Countersink-Pilot-Bits-Case-/150465534718

This one has a reversible bit/countersink with a driver head. You fit the yellow part in the drill then swap the other part via the quickrelease/pull. Its ok for what it is, bit clunky but it works.

Followed your link, bought a set, arrived just now. Would I be right in thinking the supplied Allan Key is intended to swap out either drill or driver bits?

Bang on. I'd imagine in practice it's handier for using different driver bits when there's so many variations now but it works for both of course if you need to sharpen or replace a drill bit. I still use mine for DIY stuff (which I'd guess is the main market for it)?
It's handy to be able to swap quickly if you don't have a separate driver . Picture it. You're short of a spare hand while holding summat steady with your head, on one foot on a stool,the other foot holding a wonky ikea cupboard against the wall, a pencil in your mouth, and the drill bit you just put on the window ledge has rolled 2" out of reach but you have enough arm movement with your one free hand to clench the drill under your chin and swap the bits round and you're wishing you were down the pub or indeed any bloomin' where type situation.
All of a sudden next doors untrained dog appears. It's always trying to smell peoples crotches and occasionally gets a bit bitey. Behaviour laughed off as "look! he likes you!" by your mad as a hatter but in a nice ( :shock: )way neighbour with the inexplicably well paid jobs in the City from over the road who you once invited over for christmas drinks and they bought tequila and at a certain point in the evening whipped her top up and started breast feeding her FIVE year old DemonGirl with scant regard to where you were supposed to look. And the Mrs has gone 'No! It's fine! We'll look after it while you take your mad untrained demonchildren to the psychologist!" then promptly left you alone with it and gone out shopping with the kids.... a tiny bead of sweat appears on your fore head and drips ever so slowly down your face..... And the dog lets out a little uncertain, nervous, bitey sound like 'Bork?'
And all you can think about is that time you read 'Cujo' by Stephen King when you where 8.
Times like that will let you know if you have the vitamins.

It's perfect for those sorta situations.
Bit clunky in tight spaces though although I do believe I forewarned you of that.
Cheers.
Chris.

Back