Countersink for steel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plum60

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a few countersink bits from Screwfix and Toolstation to process a number of flat steel bar ( already with holes) and they only last a short while. I'm keeping my hand drill on slow but they just stop cutting after a few holes! I bought cutting paste. I want a heat treated hard cobalt bit grade m2 or anything better that won't die off so quickly. I have repeat work so will always want these. Any advice on good countersinks that don't cost the earth maybe and don't fail real quick greatly appreciated, thank you.

I have a couple of these (not so large) that have lasted me 20+years of occasional use -
https://www.ffx.co.uk/product/Get/H...09-High-Speed-Steel-Countersink-20.5Mm--Metal
Thanks for this input . I spoke to Metalwork supplies Ltd and they said the Hall was a good buy £16.66. I elected to buy a FISCH HSS COLBALT COUNTERSINK in the end which was cheaper £11 and I think harder, I hope! Probably a best buy for a woodworker as well as a metal worker this one. Will try it and report back. Thanks- any more tips on this will be read.

The Fisch snail type countersink from APTC says
" Recommended for use on alloyed and non-alloyed steel, high quality steel plate and soft and hard woods"
I've used mine on metal on the odd occasion without any noticeable blunting but as I said, only used occasionally not continuous.

Back