Cordless circular saw recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjb

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a cordless circular saw for cutting down sheet material - mainly 6mm / 9mm mdf and ply. I have a Skil Orca circular saw, but I find it unnecessarily heavy and cumbersome for cutting thin sheet material. I’d really like the ease of use and convenience of a lightweight cordless saw, but looking at them it’s difficult to know how well they would perform. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard

I've got the dewalt 18v jobbie and I'm very pleased with it. Before I got a decent mains saw I used it for breaking down sheet material, and I always found it very accurate.

Unlike the mains equivalent it's very light so I'm comfortable wielding it with one hand. It's also very quiet which was a surprise. Mine was a 'merrican import off Ebay, so it doesn't have a any dust extraction which is a bit annoying, but it was pretty cheap at the time.

The only problem I have with it is that it's underpowered and the battery doesn't last that long, although to be fair I'm really stingy when it comes to replacing blades, so that's probably my own fault.

Overall, highly recommended, especially if you've already got any 18v dewalt tools.

Regardless which one you go for, in my experience all circular saws simply EAT batteries and the charge doesnt last more than a few cuts. PITA to be honest.

Agree on the battery life, but if you need to cut a panel without mains power, they're invaluable.

Mine gets used for cutting down panels recovered from work so they'll fit in my car. Otherwise, I only use it for occasional cuts in thin material, mostly as it has a better blade than my mains-powered saw.

Also very useful for some other jobs, like cutting insulation panels when we were helping with a friends ceiling, sort of job where it's plenty powerful enough, the batteries last all day as it's not being worked hard and trailing cables are a nightmare when you're working with ladders.

When you need one, they're great, but for most jobs, a mains saw is a far better option.

I wouldn't worry about dust extraction, or lack thereof (mine has none). If you're plugging in the vacuum, why aren't you using a mains powered saw?

It's not just the cost of the cordless item, you have to factor in the replacement cost of the number of batteries at least once in the lifetime of the tool too.

I love cordless tools, on site moving about they can't be beaten. 4 year old £220 12v Hitachi impact driver with various bits, extensions etc in the case, wouldn't live without it. it needs batteries replacing now. £200 for two. entire thing to replace £240. So full cost 220 + 200 =£420 (or bin the perfectly good driver and replace 220 + 240 = £460)! Thats the TRUE cost.

ask yourself how many times you'll use the cordless circular out of necessity if your dust extracting from the mains anyway. Put the cost of a circular and replacement batteries against a top corded circular that'll last you 15 to 20 years if looked after against 3 to 5 for the cordless (or put it towards a guided plunge saw).

And if your worried about cutting through the cable you should be using a socket breaker away from home and have trip breakers at home anyway - more importantly you should be paying more attention, it could be your fingers instead!! :shock:

If it's just a case of lack of available mains. One of the first 'portable' drills was a B&D, it ran from car battery. Now 12V is 12V, if there is sufficient currant. No need for a spare car battery, use the cigar lighter if the motor is near enough.

xy

Thanks for all replies and recommendations. I was looking into cordless saws as a more convenient alternative to my Skil saw as this weighs over 5kg and the power lead is never long enough to maneuver around an 8 x 4 sheet. Working in a cramped workshop with 8x4 sheets is always difficult and I thought a lightweight cordless saw could make life a little easier. I would only use the saw for rough cuts so I was hoping to find a relatively cheap one. The Makita saw looks good, but the price is more than I can justify when the charger and batteries are added on. The Ryobi 18v saw looks like a good contender, but I found this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryobi-12V-Li-Ion-Piece-Carry/dp/B001T0HET0 at my local DIY store reduced to £99 which seemed like good value. I'm tempted to give it a try at that price, but I'm doubtful about the power and battery life.

Richard.

Well, the Makita saws might be expensive, but they are well worth it IMHO.

I used to have a full set of Bosch power tools, which is very good, but once i got a Makita drill... Out went the Bosch. (Have to say, i'm a bit of a tool wh**e though :oops: )

The Makita 18V. circular saw is fantastic and cutting down sheet material is a joy:

10Trengermermaterialer.jpg

rjb":2fa78uhx said:
I was looking into cordless saws as a more convenient alternative to my Skil saw as this weighs over 5kg and the power lead is never long enough to maneuver around an 8 x 4 sheet.
Then why not put a longer flex on the saw? I've done that with a few of my tools and it makes working on long pieces a lot easier

As far as cordless stuff goes I've got to say I'm with RogerS on this one - cordless saws are a bit gutless and eat batteries. OK if you've got loads to spare, but a nuisance if your batteries also have to support cordless screwdrivers, drills, pinners, etc.

rjb":36nk4q8o said:
The Ryobi 18v saw looks like a good contender, but I found this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryobi-12V-Li-Ion-Piece-Carry/dp/B001T0HET0 at my local DIY store reduced to £99 which seemed like good value. I'm tempted to give it a try at that price, but I'm doubtful about the power and battery life.

Richard.

I've got the same kit.

The saw will cut 19mm MFC/18mm MDF without any problems, but I've never used it for more than a couple of cuts at a time, as I said above, mainly use it for breaking down panels so they'll fit in my car. It is a lot slower than a mains saw though.
Max cut is about 25mm, so no good for worktops (it's a trim saw).
The blade is excellent, but replacements are hard to find as it's an odd size.

The drill/driver is a lovely bit of kit, plenty powerful enough for most jobs and sooo light. There's no clutch, but the brake is good and it's very controllable.

The jig/sabre saw is a bit of an oddity. Works best when held below the workpiece so all you see is the blade, almost impossible to see the cut line when you have it above the workpiece. Not really found much use for it to be honest.

Batteries last well and charge quickly, they give almost full power right to the end then cut out suddenly, something to be aware of if you're used to NiCad/NiMH.

For £99, I'd go for it, unless you've already got a good drill/driver.

I've also got the Makita and I love it.
It is expensive but the batteries do hold their charge well and last for a good while. Nothing like as long as in the drill or impact driver but still good. For cutting down sheet material I recommend it.

John

Thanks again for all replies. I was hoping that a cheapo cordless saw would suffice, but my doubts about the power and battery life are increasing all the time. I just read a product review on another website which claimed that one saw took 3 fully charged batteries to cut a single sheet of ply in half! ...no thanks! It seems that the Makita is getting most of the votes here so I think I'll have to try and talk myself into spending a bit more than I had planned.

Richard.

Perhaps what is needed is for some enterprising manufacturer to come up with a "battery pack" which is in fact a 240/110 volt mains to 18/24/36 volt DC converter so that a saw could be used as mains or cordless

Back