Advice on Cordless Saw for Cutting MDF Boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjb

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm hoping to get some advice on the suitability of cordless saws for cutting MDF boards. The main use will be to cut down 8x4's into sizes which I need to work with - typically I would need to cut around 6x 9mm boards into thirds ..this is a frequent task so I'd like a saw that makes it as quick and easy as possible. I'm not too worried about how straight or clean the cuts are as the cut-down boards will be machined after. I think a cordless circular saw is probably the best option, but I can see some advantages in using a reciprocating saw and I'm wondering how well they would perform at this task. I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Richard.

Thanks for your reply ..I need a cordless hand-tool for mobile use.

I need a cordless hand-tool for mobile use.
Behold....
jack-irwin-880-universal-handsaw-pack-of-10-8832-p.jpg

:LOL:

A reciprocating saw has its uses but cutting down boards is not really suited to one,unless its maybe a one off and there is nothing else available at the time,cutting a straight line would be a challenge and you cannot set the depth of cut .If you have a lot of this sort of work a track saw or even a circular saw with a straight edge would be better,again if you are doing a lot of cuts in one go then a cordless may run out of juice before you get the job done,of course if you have two or three spare batteries this may not be a problem . A decent hand saw will do the job as Triton points out and is always an option for a cut or two but for me i fear i would run out of juice quicker than a cordless saw :)

Ive a Makita DHS680 run it on 5ah batteries seems to last pretty well esp if have thin kerf blade and what you can do is set saw depth to just cut thickness of boards but marginal benefit i think as full depth easier to handle saw but does have one or more major benefits! cuts straight and decent blade leaves smooth.
But get one with a few batteries then one cutting one on charge other ready then can cut all day if have enough cash? plus they do 6ah.
But there are other saws like Dewalt or Milwaukee that have bigger batteries.
Depth of pockets limiting factors!
When i was helping friend at cemetery for some muslim burials they had a base less frame which we made out of 28mm ply went and picked up a sheet marked up using handsaw as marking gauge 2, 8x2 and 1, 4x2ft then got chainsaw out whip through board chucked in car all done mind was funny watching peeps wondering how going to get in car! mind one asked how mine cut so quick? Told him mines sharpened properly🤣

Hi, I'm hoping to get some advice on the suitability of cordless saws for cutting MDF boards. The main use will be to cut down 8x4's into sizes which I need to work with - typically I would need to cut around 6x 9mm boards into thirds ..this is a frequent task so I'd like a saw that makes it as quick and easy as possible. I'm not too worried about how straight or clean the cuts are as the cut-down boards will be machined after. I think a cordless circular saw is probably the best option, but I can see some advantages in using a reciprocating saw and I'm wondering how well they would perform at this task. I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Richard.
Hi Richard. Get yourself a cordless tracksaw like Makita or Festool and buy a track which will overhang the workpiece so at least a foot longer than the total lengths you need to cut. It sounds like a 2 meter track would be a good starting point. You can also get an accessory that slots onto the track so you get 90 deg cuts every time. You won't need any machine work doing because these track saws are fantastic. Make sure you get 2 batteries and a charger and you will be good to go all day. I use a Festool tracksaw which you can use on a Makita track because they are interchangeable.

sounds to me that you've got nothing but options, the factors for me would be cost and use for other work.

I can see the appeal of a festool tracksaw (£££ !), but it sounds like for quick rough cuts you could get away with pretty much any circular saw, and make up a guide rail from a long offcut. If you've already got batteries in one of the tool platforms, that would be a good place to start.

if this is the only job that you are doing with it, you could consider just picking up a saw and a few batteries from lidl, which would probably cost less than even the most basic, bare unit, saw from dewalt, makita etc.

I have a bosch brushed cordless circ - a basic model that they gave away when I bought their really nice cordless angle grinder. I chose it with ideas of cutting down sheet in the car park.
In practice it's very handy and I use it more than I thought I would. It would be perfect for this use.
20220901_200626.jpg

(front one obviously, dumped indoors between rain showers, but any brand would do)

Single handed it chomps 2" softwood when breaking stuff down to go to the tip. 2 handed I can follow a pencil line fairly accurately. Hold against a speed square for cross cuts on the go. Use with one of those trend clamp and guide gizmos for a straight 4' cut.

It cuts competently with just a 4Ah battery, but is really strong with an 8Ah fitted.

I have the track and table saws to clean up to finished dimensions if needed but here it's taking the overhanging edge off a new flat roof. Great not to have the cord, but with the wind the sawdust swirls like a sandstorm !
20221001_125303.jpg

Last edited:
I can see the appeal of a festool tracksaw
I cannot, the festools biggest positive is in its dust extraction abilities which may be useful if working in a basement like @MikeK or in a workshop enviroment. On a site dust extraction is less important and not such an issue so you can get saws just as good for less, ie
Ive a Makita DHS680 run it on 5ah batteries seems to last pretty well
As for the reciprocating saw

I would never pick up a reciprocating saw to make straight cuts.

to true, they are like a jigsaw on steroids and for me there main use is demolition where you want to cut out stud walling or remove door frames etc.

Once you get a tracksaw it will be your go to tool for cutting and breaking down sheet materials. I agree dust extraction is only important for workshop use so you can get away with it on job sites or outside.

the festools biggest positive is in its dust extraction abilities which may be useful if working in a basement like @MikeK or in a workshop enviroment. On a site dust extraction is less important and not such an issue so you can get saws just as good for less, ie

I think you misunderstood my point, perhaps badly worded by me, the point was festool tracksaw are droolworthy, but completely unnesacery, and massively expensive - you can use pretty much any circular saw to break down boards, especially if you are going to cut them further in a workshop

I have the smaller Dewalt cordless circular saw using 4 and 5 Ah batteries and they don't last long cutting 18mm mdf. I have a 240v Triton tracksaw which goes through mdf like butter with the right quality blade fitted, which is an important consideration (speed of cut v finish). With a tracksaw set to the right depth you can cut sheets on the floor, but I would advise a sheet of (at least) hardboard underneath as a sacrificial board. Dust extraction may not be an issue outdoors but you should still wear a mask of course. MDF dust from machine cutting is dangerous stuff😷

Back