Corded Drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keyvan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone

After a few years of using my workbench, I decided to add a few more 20mm diameter holes for the benchdogs. My current corded drill, Makita HP1631, started to blow out smoke like a chimney.
(The Makita has 710W motor with 6.1A)

So, considering the 18.4% inflation ahead of us, can you recommend a beefy drill that works well and last a few generation at least, as I am planning to pass on all my tools to my child one day.

Note, previous holes were made with my 19mm auger bit and my Stanley hand drill, then filed inside the whole to accept the bench dogs. I decided to use corded drill to get a cleaner cut.

image.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Yes.
Get an older corded Metabo with a metal gearbox housing off ebay.

Or a 20 to 30 year old 620 Watt Bosch two hander. An 1179, 1199 or such like from back when the nameplates showed them as made by Scintilla SA. I let mine go because I rationalised that a Bosch with interchangeable SDS and 3 jaw chucks was more versatile and all I need for the big jobs, but I think the old 620Watt was stronger than the more powerful on paper model that I bought in 2008.

16mm holes through 10mm steel plate no problem. Dog holes shouldn't be an issue.

Bosch and Metabo drills from back then will be heirlooms good enough to pass down.

Last edited:
I think that bit just overloaded the drill. The spiral tip draws the bit in and so its trying to bite off more than the motor can chew. You have to go very slow with those. A brand new spade bit would have done it easy.
Regards
John

Yes.
Get an older corded Metabo with a metal gearbox housing off ebay.

Or a 20 to 30 year old 620 Watt Bosch two hander. An 1179, 1199 or such like from back when the nameplates showed them as made by Scintilla SA. I let mine go because I rationalised that a Bosch with interchangeable SDS and 3 jaw chucks was more versatile and all I need for the big jobs, but I think the old 620Watt was stronger than the more powerful on paper model that I bought in 2008.

16mm holes through 10mm steel plate no problem. Dog holes shouldn't be an issue.

Bosch and Metabo drills from back then will be heirlooms good enough to pass down.
Agreed, I remember using my dads old drill that had a 3jaw chuck with key. I prefer that to my current Makita chuckles, if a drill bit get jammed in it would be very difficult to take it off.

Thanks for the tip

I think that bit just overloaded the drill. The spiral tip draws the bit in and so its trying to bite off more than the motor can chew. You have to go very slow with those. A brand new spade bit would have done it easy.
Regards
John
Thanks John, I’ll give that a try

Regards
John
This is exactly right in my experience too.
Auger bits and Forstner bits too need a slower speed high torque drill.
Spade bits need a very high speed to cut cleanly.
Your Makita and pretty much all of the similar powerful but compact corded types are high speed drills, they don't do so well at slow speed high torque tasks.
A physically bigger drill has more room for a larger gearbox and usually a strong low ratio.

I would think that corded Makita was on it's last legs because if a cordless drill can make an MFT top then a corded 700 watt drill should do the same.
I have a cordless Makita impact drill, they are great but not as powerful as this corded drill though.
The drill is not fixed and works fine, I just added a little candle wax to the bit before drilling. It cuts the wood with no issue now

Latest posts

Back