Bench Top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil p

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Sorry as I know this has been covered quite a few times as of late so I do firstly apologise.

Ive made my new workbench frame/base, made a set of drawers for it and now only the worktop to do, however Ive changed my mind several times on what I actually want and which way to go on this.

At first I did intend just to do a laminated 4 x 2 top then thought it was a bit of overkill for what I need as I'm only a hobbiest but I do really enjoy woodwork.

After that I fancied an MFT top for the versaility and was going ahead with that then I started reading a few posts which said that the holes are quite difficult to mark out and drill and if they're not 100% accurate it could cause problems, then I thought I would just buy a CNC top but also thought that could be a bit too thin, so it was back to the drawing board!

I'm down to 2 options and would like your opinions if possible.

1) I could buy the the CNC MFT top but double the thickness of it with another sheet of MDF fixed to it?

I realise the problem of dust and debris filling the holes but that wouldn't bother me too much vacuuming it every so often, again as it's for only occasional use, and I don't really want to drill though the MFT top to the bottom sheet as I'm bound to make a pigs ear of it (hoping I can get dogs less than 18mm thick) to fit.

2) Double thickness of MDF and adding 2 T tracks, one near the front and back ends, however also adding 2 or 3 rows of dog holes and that should cover what I need, and hopefully less chance of any errors marking and drilling the holes being just the few rows?

Also could I check on what size to drill the holes? looked a loads of places and some say 19mm and others 3/4 so I'm abit confused on this.

I would appreciate and advice, or drawbacks of course on these 2 options.

Regards
Phil

Back