Copy of full PC Installation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyBoyd

Established Member
Reaction score
Chaps

I´ve just spent hours after putting a new hard disk in my laptop, re/installing all my software XP, SP2 and all it´s updates etc etc

Is there a neat way to take a copy of your system set up and write that to a CD-DVD so I could load all everything in one go, should I need to?

Here's hoping

Andy,
There are quite a few back up solutions available - you need to clone the disk not just copy the files. When I was on a PC, I used Acronis True Image which usually worked pretty well. ( http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/produ ... trueimage/ ).

You are right to do this before the disk gets cluttered up again, it makes a successful restore much more likely.

You need to do something called ghosting, buy a ghosting programme, very cheap.
Ghost your existing hard disk onto a cd or dvd depending on amount of data.
Install new hard disk.
Copy ghosted cd or dvd onto new h.d.

Or alternately wait for Argee, who knows what he's talking about :) , but I'm pretty sure the above will work.

Dom

There is also the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windoze that may do what you want.

Hi

I would re-enforce Chris' opinion with Acronis it is very well respected, and I do know someone who has to restore in anger with it and it worked fine. I use it and the interface is dead easy. The same person had previously had a bit of grief with Norton ghost which apparently has taken a turn for the worse since version 8.

Cheers Alan

Andy,
I use Acronis True Image too - a fair bit. Don't bother with any of the fancy features and it works fine. They were giving away the older version (7 IIRC) free - someone mentioned it here. But I can't find the link ...
Cheers
Gidon

Acronis true image 7....for free ;)

Code:
http://www.flexbeta.net/main/comments.php?shownews=21786&catid=5

Hope this works ok.

I would just like to add that Acronis is very good and used it too myself :)

Back