cooking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can't beat honey roasted parsnips, christmas isn't the same without it. p.s sprouts are the work of SATAN himself ;)

Even a small turkey is just too much for us, with only 2 of us eating it. Ham is traditional here but again Christmas hams are huge and anyway I dislike it. So we will be having elk for Christmas lunch, same as last year. For us it is a better option.
I always thought Elk's were bigger than turkeys ................ Learn something new every day on here :):):)

I killed a turkey on Saturday - 10kg or 22lbs. The goose is supposed to make new baby geese, so it got a reprieve this year, along with its mate. Just took a ham out of the brine (it was a pork joint in the freezer until last week), and tomorrow I will be attempting clotted cream, which may or may not go well. We should eat reasonably well. The steamed marmalade pudding looks like an exceptionally good idea, unlike the elk. Wikipedia tells me a male elk can weigh up to half a ton - I'll stick wit turkey.

We’re having chicken with every veg possible on Christmas day. I like turkey but the wife prefers chicken, and there’s only two of us this year.
Normally make a bit of effort with something new, but can’t really be bothered this year

Three bird roast here. Serves five, there's two of us. Should slice up nicely to make sandwiches until 2021.

can't beat honey roasted parsnips, christmas isn't the same without it. p.s sprouts are the work of SATAN himself ;)

Sprouts are hell if you just boil the living daylights out of them, but there's plenty of ways to eat them that make them more than palatable!

I found a recipe about 25 years ago in a newspaper for a steamed marmalade pudding - my m.i.l. made it every year. I no longer have the exact recipe, but I still do it - with Seville marmalade, muscovado sugar and some brown flour it looks like a Xmas pudding.

Would you mind sharing your recipe? Thanks

Sprouts? Lightly parboil and saute them in walnut oil.

I won't bother making clotted cream - there's a place up the road that makes twenty five tonnes a day. :)

Made the orange sauce for the duck and goose - oranges, ginger, sugar, citric acid and cayenne. :)

If that marmalade pudding recipe is as good as the one we used to eat, it's nowhere near as heavy as it looks. The original recipe was in the Express about 25 years ago (when it was still (just about) a newspaper) just before I stopped reading it. One friday the headline on the front page was "Sixteen pages of how to have fun and enjoy yourself". I never bought it again.

Would you mind sharing your recipe? Thanks
The recipe BM101 linked to looks good, but the ours is a little more traditional - made with suet with marmalade inside as well as for the topping. I have to look one up every year now, but they're all variations on a theme. A suet one will take far longer to cook.

I'm the stereotypical sourdough dad from lockdown mk 1.

My lad just back from Uni said he'd make us a meal as Christmas present - OMG!

Simple cheese and pepper pasta starter
Home seasoned buffalo chicken wings with stilton and soured cream dip
Slow cooked jamaican oxtail with plantain 2 ways all in an oxtail gravy fried taco with smoked cheese red onion and coriander
Finished off with a trio of mini desserts - cheesecake, waffle berry pudding and melt-in-the-middle choc pot

Attachments

• 20201218_191847.jpg
    20201218_191847.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20201218_181548.jpg
    20201218_181548.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20201218_202943.jpg
    20201218_202943.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 2
What are people cooking for Christmas lunch? Traditional turkey or something else?
Even a small turkey is just too much for us, with only 2 of us eating it. Ham is traditional here but again Christmas hams are huge and anyway I dislike it. So we will be having elk for Christmas lunch, same as last year. For us it is a better option.
just how big is your oven...............................................??

I am cooking myself a beef Wellington for Christmas lunch. The other half of the fillet that I bought has been cut into steaks and frozen down. I know they won't be so tasty as if I cooked from fresh but beef won't last forever. No Christmas pud of any sort for me. I am forbidden sugar and starch. But it's Christmas so I will chance the pastry around the beef Wellington and just a few saute potatoes. My word; the price of fillet of beef these days! But I won't have to go cold turkey for a week!

John

I killed a turkey on Saturday - 10kg or 22lbs. The goose is supposed to make new baby geese, so it got a reprieve this year, along with its mate. Just took a ham out of the brine (it was a pork joint in the freezer until last week), and tomorrow I will be attempting clotted cream, which may or may not go well. We should eat reasonably well. The steamed marmalade pudding looks like an exceptionally good idea, unlike the elk. Wikipedia tells me a male elk can weigh up to half a ton - I'll stick wit turkey.
How can you turn pork into ham? I have some leg of pork in the freezer and I like ham. Or have I missed something?

Merry Christmas

John

If a turkey might be too big, buy a large crown. That's my Lady used to do!

Would one buy the whole elk when a chunk would do; and is elk as tasty as buffalo BTW?

John

this all sounds very good......
our only nod to luxury, we bought a case of some expensive wine before we left France....
no idea on what Vinyard but def Bodox it's about £50 a bottle in the UK.....
not a redwine drinker but this stuff is beautiful.......
it's do me and her the 2 days.....and she drinks most of mine anyway......lol....

wish u lot all the best.....keep Covid free......

Back