Confession is good for the soul - admit your mistakes!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Routing a mortise.

I marked the position of the mortise from the end of the piece with a ruler, then instead of placing the router in place to set out the stop block offset from the mortise I just put the stop block right on the line, then put the router up against that.

The mortise was off by about the width of the mortise and half the diameter of the router base.

I think I must have been asleep.

The mistake I regret the most, the one that I'm reminded of every time I pick my nose, or try to retrieve loose change from your pocket was feeding my hand to a hungry spindle moulder! Could have been worse though still got nine and a half fingers left. And yes it was a "mistake" not an accident! :oops:

I've just made some wall hung pigeon holes for my 'den', decided to go to the trouble of blind dadoes even though it's just for me, then screwed the french cleat rail to the front. :oops:

Biggest mistake I made was when I started out. I turned down some kitchen jobs and started doing sash windows and conservation joinery instead.
Nothing wrong with the work but I could have been filthy rich (probably). I'd done one or two already and was getting in to mdf and bulk buying blum hinges.

scaled.php

Broke a VS pulley on my drill press while trying to remove it. I located an old replacement--a new one would have cost about $350.

Kirk
who has routed clean through one or two pieces, and installed panels inside out in a couple of projects, among other things...

Dare I mention...

Using a router jig to cut dados etc. , marking out the position of the dado, even putting an arrow from line to show which side to cut....
then sliding jig up to line, get it spot on, and rout out the dado the wrong side of the line?
I may have done that today, then again, and it still wasn't my fault - the jig was the wrong way round I tells ya.

Decided I could fit my kitchen worktops, bought a jig and long cutters, routed a notch into my nice new roller stand (homer)

steep learning curve with scary and dangerous new circular saw -> one end of my workmate now has an angled design.

img6535mediumsmall.jpg

didn't even notice it happen at the time. :oops:

I think the one that caused me the most embarrassment was a set of 'Shovetails' in Mahogany!

Roy.

Most on here I have done. Not cut through a work mate though, it was a wheel barrow handle :D
Made a mistake yesterday. 4 legs all needing a 1mm packer one end to level out the top. Put packer under one and screwed the rest. Still 1mm out isn't that bad on 3 legs.

Trying to release a cramp head that was stuck by hitting it with a file. File broke in two, clamp got hit with hammer.

Bought a 5 piece pack of MDF chamfered architrave to put around a bedroom door. Cut 2 pieces for height and a third piece in half, which was further trimmed to fit above door. Stopped for lunch. You know what's coming... Picked up a fresh piece and cut in half to go above other side of door, then found I had only one full length piece left for the height. Expensive lunch! Rick.

I rested a RSJ on a couple of bricks and proceeded to cut it with my 9" angle grinder. "Someone" put my steel toe caps boots exactly underneath where I was cutting, resulting in a big slice right through the front of one of them! Can't wear them now if it rains because my foot gets soggy.

Another one - stopped housings, which I don't stop so they become regular housings. Permissible if I didn't cut the notch first in the other piece!

Digit":u11hktv2 said:
Too numerous to list!
mailee":u11hktv2 said:
Yep, Im with Roy, far too many to list. Think I have done most of the ones posted here in the past. :roll:
we don't need the entire lists. just a couple, come on now! :D

mark aspin":2p8zl4ox said:
I rested a RSJ on a couple of bricks and proceeded to cut it with my 9" angle grinder. "Someone" put my steel toe caps boots exactly underneath where I was cutting, resulting in a big slice right through the front of one of them! Can't wear them now if it rains because my foot gets soggy.

Another one - stopped housings, which I don't stop so they become regular housings. Permissible if I didn't cut the notch first in the other piece!

Mark,

Sounds like you need a 'caulking' job, and a coat of bitumen! Although, I suppose you could get them welded!

:D
John :)

Benchwayze":7bpc3fzu said:
mark aspin":7bpc3fzu said:

Mark,

Sounds like you need a 'caulking' job, and a coat of bitumen! Although, I suppose you could get them welded!

:D
John :)

Or buy new ones, they aren't that expensive and isn't worth the risk.

Back