Concrete wall in garage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hsmith192

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I can’t seem to drill through the concrete walls in my garage. I am really stuck as I have managed to blunt my masonry drill bit and can only get through to about 10mm before the bit just goes round and round. I’ve used an electric hammer drill (700w) and just need some advice on how to do it! I just need to drill 3 holes and then I’m happy. The house is from 1920’s and I’m sure the garage is nearly as old. (Also garage is away from house)

please help!
01A32862-C387-49F8-9EBC-A9B320D6BDE7.jpeg

Concrete continues to harden with age and I seem to recall this continues for decades. I had problems drilling the bricks on our bungalow refurb as they are close to engineering brick hardness. I eventually had success with Bosch CYL-9 multi construction drill bits, available from the likes of Toolstation. Bosch Multi Construction TCT Drill Bit 6.0 x 150 They are surprisingly cheap and if you work up to final hole size in several steps they should do the job. I now don't bother with the 750 watt Metabo hammer drill, I just use an 18v Bosch cordless.

Colin

Concrete continues to harden with age and I seem to recall this continues for decades. I had problems drilling the bricks on our bungalow refurb as they are close to engineering brick hardness. I eventually had success with Bosch CYL-9 multi construction drill bits, available from the likes of Toolstation. Bosch Multi Construction TCT Drill Bit 6.0 x 150 They are surprisingly cheap and if you work up to final hole size in several steps they should do the job. I now don't bother with the 750 watt Metabo hammer drill, I just use an 18v Bosch cordless.

Colin
Thank you so much, I’m going to order it now. Is there anything else you would suggest?

Make sure you don’t overheat the drill bits of it’s taking a while. Also, assume you aren’t drilling a lintel which would have steel reinforcing within it that will resist a masonry drill.

Easiest would be to try and borrow and sds

Thank you so much, I’m going to order it now. Is there anything else you would suggest?
I usually go up in stages, eg 5 and then 6.5 for the brown 7mm wall plugs. I also buy a couple of each size drill. Some masking tape is useful so you can see your pencil mark. You may find chipping a small dent into the concrete with a 75mm masonry nail, like you would centre punching a piece of metal prior to drilling will help the drill bit locate.

Colin

ps, as above you don't want to overheat the drill bit. Have a cup of water ready to dip the drill bit into

Are you sure there isn't reinforcing bars in the concrete sections.

Could you secure into the gaps between the sections and bridge with 3x2?

Failing that I'd put 2x2 and insulation around the work area and OSB / MDF / plywood over the top?

Cheers James

Had the same problem putting a short curtain rail up several years ago three screws! I hired an SDS drill, it took about 10 minutes all told - like a knife through butter. Expensive for three holes but worth every penny

This could end in tears, looks like a sectional garage. If so they can be latticed with reinforcing bar.
As said an SDS with good drill bit should eat it but all that pounding in the wrong place could crack the panel.
Be interesting to see if a really strong magnet will dwell at the bar locations while passing it over the surface.
Ceramic tile/glass drills can be handy on stubborn substrates.
Cheers Andy

Get an SDS drill and some reasonable quality bits. Half decent SDS drills aren't very expensive now, and you'll find uses for it especially if it has a rotary stop.
If you can borrow one the job will be finished while the chap you borrowed it from nips to the toilet.

As others have said beg borrow or steal an SDS drill. About 15 years ago I was going to hire one but found buying one was cheaper. Since then it's been useful a few more times. A handy thing to have especially if you have an older place with odd handyman jobs to do.
Regards
John

As above use sds
However I had problems with a concrete barn- some places it would drill fine and in others it would stop - I reckon I was hitting rebar. Any way I bought some gorilla glue and did some test sticks of metal plastic and wood onto the concrete all of which were very succesful and permanent so I used the glue. Incidentally it’s getting on for three years and the test pieces are all still there and they don’t budge even when hit with a hammer

An SDS drill will more than likely crack the panels as has been said before. Try those bosch multi construction bits first before anything else and see how you get on. Can you secure anything to the wooden wallplate at the top of that wall? Maybe even just a sheet of ply hanging down secured to the wall plate then just screw what ever you want into the ply?

I have had exactly this problem with sectional garage panels, they have 1/4" steel reinforcing rods running around the thicker outside of the panels, You simply wont drill through there. The flat centres of the panels arent usually reinforced.
Also the concrete is extremely hard & what usually happens if you manage to get a hole through is a big spalling or breakout on the back side.
I found it far easier to stick a wooden batten or plywood block on with adhesive, I have used Gripfill & Polyurethane sealant, Sikaflex, PU40 or similar. All of these will stick a mounting on that will break the concrete away before the joint fails.

If this is indeed a Pre-Cast system built garage and the positioning of the holes is not critical, you could find drilling between the joints easier, if you must go through one of the panels do not drill in the centre of the span between uprights using a SDS, drill through the first third of the span in the centre of the panel.

A long time ago, when I lived in Cornwall, I struggled drilling granite, so went out and bought an SDS drill. Even then, the task proved difficult. My advice is start with the smallest bit you have and work up in stages. I recall, when SDS was ‘new on the block’, the guy in the shop told me not to push when the drill is in ‘hammer’ mode. I think it’s good advice. I guess, the harder you push the less percussion there’ll be. If I’m not making any progress, I inspect the tip for any signs of metal fragments on the tip. If I have any then I look to drill elsewhere. Chris

2 thoughts:

1. You could use construction glue and dot & dab 18mm ply (or whatever you want) directly to the blocks.

2. If the DIY drilling doesn't work out, you may wish to pay a professional drilling company (Drillcut) to drill/screw 4x2"s to your wall for you to work with.

Personally I'd buy good quality SDS drill bits and a quality mains powered SDS drill.

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck 👍

Back