Concrete wall in garage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's concrete panels within H shaped posts why not batten round the perimeter with 2x2 secured with angle brackets knocked in-between the posts and panels?? Just a thought?

If you going to be in it for any length of time your going to want it insulated and clad anyway.

Cheers James

I will post again, drill in between the slabs through the joint, it will go straight through.

Thank you so much to everyone! There’s a lot of information from everyone so here’s the plan (I think):

1. Going to use the Bosch Cyl-9 with the rotary 18v drill
2. Or Use it with the hammer function on the larger hammer drill and then see if that works.
3. OR Grip fill is coming today so will use that to put a timber piece on and then screw into that for the clamp rack to fit on.
4. OR Plywood is now on order so will use the adhesive to put it on batons (4x2)

last thing I want to do is damage the concrete on the outside or in!

I will consider buying a SDS drill and making the holes that way if it’s possible!
I will also remember to keep the drill bit cool.

if I have to use adhesive to get battons on and screw 18mm plywood onto that....will it be strong enough to hold loads?

thanks so much everyone!

l have a Hilti TE 17 drill. This drill is nearly 20 years old and it has never let me down! Unfortunately I believe your drill is not correct for the job in hand and you will need to either upgrade to a HiltI or similar combined with the appropriate SDS drill bit.

Sounds like you could revert to an old-fashioned Rawl plug, plugging tool and suitable hammer. I wonder where you're going to find a plugging tool?

John

Thanks everyone for the help, hammer setting and the Bosch drill bits worked a treat. I think there was a fair bit of metal in the slabs but I missed a lot of them.

I appreciate all the help hope everyone has a lovely Christmas and a happy new year.

Hi everyone (literally a year later!)

I decided to bite the bullet and get an Titan SDS drill. It really tears through the concrete!

Only issue is that it made some breakout on the other side! I patched it up though.

Essentially I’ve now put up the clamp rack which is great! I am finding the panels are 40mm which doesn’t leave much room for the rawl plugs.

Will adhesive work when gluing Battons for a stud wall/insulated wall??

Attachments

• CD7E3AE4-51C5-4D34-BFC1-12EB35539CCC.jpeg
    CD7E3AE4-51C5-4D34-BFC1-12EB35539CCC.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 5286C3D1-6CC2-4365-A2EB-4D9627F2B7CC.jpeg
    5286C3D1-6CC2-4365-A2EB-4D9627F2B7CC.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 16
I read the whole thread and nearly replied to one from last year to warn you about breakout using an sds on a sectional garage as it happened to me. I then realised I was reading old posts and then saw you latest one...

On the subject of installing an internal wall have you got vertical concrete posts holding each section up? If so you may be able to bolt new internal uprights onto these by using longer bolts through both the concrete and timber posts then screw/nail battens onto these and board over. Try Screwfix for new bolts.

Ok I’ll try to use the adhesive with maybe a 20mm tiny wall plug- hopefully it should help! I won’t go as far next time!

Thanks again everyone- it seems the drill is really good 👍

Hey @mikej460 Ive tried to remove the bolts. A few of them are concreted in and the others aren’t as accessible because they are on the neighbours side.
Im going to try to use the adhesive and see what happens. Thank you though!

Latest posts

Back