Con?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the best put downs to a cold caller was someone who was trying to sell new conservatory builds - you know the approach: 'We are in your area doing one for someone else, so it can be done at a reduced price, etc'

My friend was very enthusiastic, checking all sorts of details, and eventually agreeing for the agent to make an appointment to call with brochures, etc.

When asked for her address, she advised that she lived in a flat in a retirement home complex - number 37, on the third floor!

DonJohnson":3gb2psn2 said:
One of the best put downs to a cold caller was someone who was trying to sell new conservatory builds - you know the approach: 'We are in your area doing one for someone else, so it can be done at a reduced price, etc'

My friend was very enthusiastic, checking all sorts of details, and eventually agreeing for the agent to make an appointment to call with brochures, etc.

When asked for her address, she advised that she lived in a flat in a retirement home complex - number 37, on the third floor!

I used to get calls from Staybrite and Safestyle regularly. I actually made an appointment with a Safestyle rep at my work address. You should have seen his face when he pulled up outside my uPVC fabrication unit :lol:

RogerS":3voeh1oy said:
TPS is pretty ineffectual, in my experience.
I would have to disagree, its knocked out about 95% of the cr@p calls I was getting. Still get the very occasional one insisting my computer runs on windows though :)

The equivalent of TPS for business lines is not so good as the domestic version IIRC. We now have a phone system that can block specific numbers which helps with some serial annoyances, though not withheld ones.

I have a favourite caller who rings our business number. They are a uPVC double glazing company, and always ask me if I am the owner of the property. When I tell them I am not, they ask if they can speak to the owner. I offer to put them through to our landlord, English Heritage, but suggest that they are unlikely to be interested in uPVC replacement windows for their Grade 1 listed mansion. Silence descends ...

I was manning the hospital switchboard where I used to work once when a DG salesman called, we were doing quite well until he asked me how many windows we had.

Depending on what mood I'm in I either put the phone down or go along with it for a while. The best ones are the ones claiming they can fix your problem with windows, I usually go along with them, pretending to be impressed that they can tell I have a problem, then casually ask if it matters that I use Linux.
But nobody legitimate would ever ask you for bank details etc over the phone. We have caller ID and unless I recognise the number I don't pick up. Hardly anyone rings me on the landline anyway, most people use my mobile.

Back