Con?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldhead

Established Member
Reaction score
Just had a phone call from an Indian/Pakistani lady, my hearing is shot so using the phone is a no no for me, anyhow she asked my name, I told her to which she replied 'correct' she asked my age, I told 54, she said correct, she asked me to confirm my address, I did and she said correct, she asked my date of birth, I told her the wrong date, she said correct, she then went on to say she was sending me a cheque and said something about it being from the government, I said that was so nice of her, she then asked for my bank details, now I'm starting to think.....mmm.....this somehow doesn't ring true, I said just send me the cheque, I will put it in my bank account, her reply was, 'how do I know your the correct person, I need to know where you bank' by now I think she was getting a little bit sick of repeating herself, which in all honesty was because I couldn't make out what she was saying, then she hung up.

I am thinking about contacting my MP to complain about how government employees treat the public, or do you think I would be wasting my time because she wasn't really from the government?

If you get a similar call and they hang up like she did with me, try 1471 and see if this number comes up 02032986629.

Baldhead

I would automatically assume it was a con, but then I am getting so cynical I would even ask my reflection for prove of identity.

Hi

It's a good mantra that anyone who asks for your banking details on line or over the phone unsolicited is trying to con you.

Regards Mick

I get these calls on a regular basis. As soon as they start to speak and I detect it's an Indian or Pakistani I politely tell them to f*@k off. I'm not hard of hearing like you Baldhead thankfully, but one day I had a call asking to speak to me I knew it was an Indian or Pakistani on the other end so I pretended to be a 90 year old hard of hearing person. I made him repeat himself so many times in the twenty minutes he was on the phone that in the end he just hung up as well lol.

I've had a great conversation with a chap who wants me to have an accident in the car on purpose or they can use my name as a passenger in another vehicle and they will tell me all the details to tell the solicitors for my statement....

I asked if it's legal and the chap say it is so I should be fine and £20k richer

I normally get the ones from Microsoft. Nice Indian people called Chris or Jim. They tell me I have a virus on my pc that they are detecting (pc not on at all). So me being me I say "oh, best I go turn the pc on". Oh hang on my wife normally does that, can you tell me how to do that. Put the phone down and go and make a cuppa and bacon bacon butties. When I come back to the phone they hung up. Strange and rude me thinks, can't understand why they hung up?????? Afterall they were going to charge me for that????????

I had someone trying it on through Freecycle - replied to a post and was offered as much as I want, quite a list was offered when I inquired what was available AND it would be delivered in the morning by courier !!

Luckily I just look stupid so I went along with it and asked them how much for the courier - they came back with a £50 quote ! didn't hear any more after offering to explain to the moderators what nice people these guys obviously are

If I have time to spare I generally string them along with a completely false set of details, account numbers etc. let them waste time trying to set up all sorts of transactions

I'd say it was a con. Legitimate callers will never ask for your bank details over the phone.

John

100% a con.

You did the right thing in giving a false DOB. The moment someone asks for my name over the phone, I'm instantly suspicious to be honest. "Is that Mr Morfa?" me - "Who want's to know?". Never confirm your details (any details) to cold callers. The only people who ring my landline are my wife, sister, parents and in-laws. Sadly, it's incredibly easy to get a phone line (or in the cases of Indian calls) a VOIP line, hence the poor quality of the line, so it's easy for scammers. They're generally targetting older folk who are more trusting and more likely to dish out details on the phone.

As already mentioned, any call saying "I'm from Microsoft / Apple / whoever and your PC has a problem" is also a scam.

If they say it's the bank or some important company, get their name and number and ring the main phone line for that company.

I had that Indian guy call me several times over the space of a year, said he was from microsoft and said there was a major problem with my computer. I knew it was a con straight away. I asked him what system I was running and he said windows 7. I have an apple iMac.

Chippygeoff":1c970rdx said:
I asked him what system I was running and he said windows 7. I have an apple iMac.
And don't they get upset when you point out that they are talking BS ? :)

We've got caller ID and an automatic answer machine - we don't answer a call unless we recognise the number and if it's important people will leave messages. For most friends and family, the phone tells verbally whose on the line.

Rod

I have also had the 'Microsoft' call, I knew it wasn't real because if it had been I would have typing this from my cell room, I was very very abusive to the caller. One of my daughters had the same call, they insisted anything that was wrong with her computer they could sort it, my daughter (who is very like me) kept asking "anything" the caller kept repeating "yes, anything" my daughter said, "what even if it goes on fire, can you extinguish the flames", the caller hung up.

I must say though, if I get a call which I think is genuine, I politely tell them I don't require, new kitchen/bedroom, block paving, solar panels etc etc, although they waste my time, it is unfortunately a job to the caller.

Baldhead

Well done for the false DOB, I don't even give them my name.
Interesting that you got a UK phone number, I wonder if the police (or trading standards) would follow it up, should be traceable in theory. Even if they have your name, which they often do you have to be very cautious talking to people on the phone, get a company name and contact details from them before even starting a conversation.
Well worth stringing them along though, if you have the time.

kostello":37z8482n said:
I've had a great conversation with a chap who wants me to have an accident in the car on purpose or they can use my name as a passenger in another vehicle and they will tell me all the details to tell the solicitors for my statement....

I asked if it's legal and the chap say it is so I should be fine and £20k richer

:roll:

They must think we came in on the tide....
:twisted:

I have to admit that i get great satisfaction ( if time permits) in wasting as much of their time as possible before politely telling them to go forth an multiply :twisted:

Latest posts

Back