Compressor..why empty every day?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastminute

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it absolutely necessary to empty the compressor at the end of the day?....I understand the buildup of water vapour...
..it seems a shame to waste the air thats left after only using brad nailer occasionally!

Your thoughts please.

Gerry

My big compressor (used about once a month) is always emptied as it builds a lot of water when used.

My small compressor is kept full of air all the time, has been for over 10 years and only gets drained about once a year and produces a teaspoon of water in that time.

My compressor drain is at the lowest part of the tank. I don't drain the tank, but open the valve momentarily to allow any moisture to blow out. After two years of doing this every time I use the compressor, I haven't seen any water drops, but I'm sure there is some mist that I can't see.

My compressor is plugged in 24/7/365.

I drained it the other day first time in, maybe two years, Quite a bit of rusty water.
I'm sure something else will kill it before it rusts through.

I have a 200L compressor, empty once a week. Often reminds me of that dodgy indian after 8 pints of thatchers.

Once you’ve seen an accumulator go bang once, you will be massively more cautious with compressed air systems, it sounds like a bomb going off, because that’s just what it is.
Aidan

It depends a bit on usage our work ones are used hard and before we fitted auto drains we would get several gallons a week out of them

I buy cheap compressors at hf here and don't worry too much about it. 14 years on, I'm on my second one and after draining the tank all the time on the first, some of its upper fittings cracked causing it to be junked. I don't use anything that a 5 cfm small oiled compressor won't run, though. Cost of the two compressors so far is ,$225. They are junky, but I have run them continuously several times over the years figuring I'd find their overheating point and neither has ever stopped. If I had a good one, I'd drain it any time it would see a period of disuse. Most of the less than premium compressors here look like they have fittings and electrics that won't outlast the tanks.

Back