Compressor recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm after a compressor for the 'shop. Nothing too big - I only have a single garage.

Any recommendations? I don't want to spend a fortune. I think Dan mentioned the B&Q one a while ago, but i've had a look on their website and they no longer list it.

Cheers

Karl

Karl, argos do a small compact one. I bought this one about 6 years ago and it is stiil going strong, and I have pushed it past its limits some times. It still hasn't died. Cost was around the £100 mark, and came with a 18 guage nail gun.

Hi Karl

The best place for compressors is Machine Mart in my opinion, they seem to specialize in them.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/

However they are very load and are better sited outside the workshop in an insulated box because of the noise. It must allow plenty of air to get in and not to much sound to get out. I keep mine in a shed behind the workshop.

Hope this helps

John

I bought the 2hp Axi one. For what I use it for it wasn't worth me buying it. ATM the only thing I do with it is blow dust out of machinary when I'm having a clear up. I didn't realise how LOUD they are. It will come in handy when I build this shed next month.

There is one on offer at Aldi

http://aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers ... nday09.htm

Visually this looks exactly the same as mine and I mean exactly. I just went out to check.

Bandit from MachineMart. After sales tech support and spares also very good.

of course, one should ask....depends what you want it for. There have been several threads on compressors. Search should dig them out for you.

Thanks for the replies guys.

The one at Aldi looks like a good deal. Might nip there in the morning and see if they have any in stock. 3 yr warranty too.

How LOUD is loud (in db)? Just looking for a guideline so that I can compare to, say, my dust extractor. Struggling to find any info/specs. I see Machine Mart do a quiet range, but you pay for the privilege.

John - siting outside of workshop isn't an option i'm afraid. However, I do have a spare cabinet section under the workbench where I could build some form of enclosure to house it. Not sure how you would allow the free movement of air though without compromising on noise insulation.

Cheers

Karl

Louder than both my dust extractors put together.

I know cost is an issue but I found that the noise of the bigger cheaper compressors was a bigger issue still. No just for the neighbours either. Obviously when the pressure drops it starts up without warning which can give you a hell of a fright. Not god if at the time your are paring away at delicate dovetails. I have on of these

woodnet26.jpg

Its just the same as Machine Marts quite range. I think called Shuuu or similar. It's run from an industrial fridge compressor and is no louder than that. Perfect if you use your compressor mainly for brading. I've also sued it for spraying with a small touch up gun and as lond as you take your time it's fine. They come up now and again in the 'selling off' sections they have in their stores. Indeed I saw one just before Christmas for £180. I know it's £100 more than the Aldi one but you won't regret it.

Dom - bradding is going to be the main use (as well as clearing the dung out of any machines when they get a bit bunged up :oops: ).

Think i'll give the standard compressors a miss. Noise is an issue and the more I think of it the less I think I would end up using a noisy compressor.

What HP is yours? What size brads will it fire?

Cheers

Karl

I have found that buying a compressor is not the compleat answer .The aldi one has a cheaper less robust connector i prefer a PCL connector system and like the axminster pneumatic tools the aw50n has depth adjustment i also found a auto lubricator gave very few mis fires .Noise well its not on for that long so i do not bother about it .
If i was buying again it would be axminster as above and get a self-retracting air hose,tyre inflator and dust jet

I think it's about a 1HP. 24 litre tank with 50lts per min capacity at 8 bar max. Fires 50mm 18 gauge brads into hardwood no problem.

I have an axminster one and get all my accessories (pin guns, staplers, air lines etc) from there too, all seem great and no complaints either. The quality seems good for the price.

As from tomorrow morning, Aldi are selling a 24L one for £82.00 and a lot of tools as extras, the acessories that go with it are worth at least £30.00. so, it's a good buy IMO.

Rich.

Thanks Chris

The only thing which is putting me off is the 97db noise level - that's as loud as my table saw. I appreciate it won't be at that level all the time and if I can find a way to store it in a cupboard then that would reduce noise levels. Otherwise the specs look excellent for the cash.

Cheers

Karl

karl":1ostg1b3 said:
The only thing which is putting me off is the 97db noise level

Blimey that is loud, my car was recorded at 95 db and that is from a 2.5 litre thru a 3inch high flo exhaust system

Think mine runs at about 43dB. You really can't hear it at all from the other side of the workshop.

Ok, well I am really going round in circles at the moment.

I would like one of the quiet range. But to get one with similair spec to Dom's would seem to involve some serious cash. Check out this page. I'm not sure if the cheaper ones would suffice for bradding? I also see that the cheapest one doesn't actually have an air tank - presumably this runs constantly when in use?

Think a trip to MM might be in order.

Cheers

Karl

Went to aldi this morn for the brad gun, 3" cut off tool and air regulator/lubricator.
The 3" cut off can use discs from machine mart £4 for 5. The air reg/luber can be used together or independantly which is good for spraying plus you get a 3m line and a 10m line. So one from compressor to reg/luber then 10m for tools. The brad gun does upto 50mm brads down to 15mm and 15mm to 40mm staples. And all with 3year warrenties.

At 10.15 this morn there was people walking out with all the kit lol so dunno how long it'l be there. They also had compressor oil and lube.

The connectors are the same as on my compressor and are not the same as sold in machine mart etc but you can get them from pirtex no more expensive than any others. They did me an 8m line with male and fem for 22quid and 1/4bsp thread to fixings for the tools were about £2 each.

Hope that helps any buyers...

Latest posts

Back