Combined spindle & belt sanders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jona

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd been waiting for the Rutlands oscillating belt & bobbin sander to come back into stock:

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... nds+dk7010

However now it seems that they've raised the price so I can get the identical Sealey version elsewhere for the same price + free shipping.

There is however a larger and more expensive alternative available from Excalibur:

http://woodfordwm.co.uk/acatalog/info_262.html

Clearly a more professional machine but very little information available online. Does anyone have experience with the Excalibur, and is it worth the money (£399 + VAT + shipping)?

Just watched the video and can't agree with what is said, he must have had a bad one, the table on my version is at right angles to the belt and bobbins, I don't get any crowning on the workpiece at the belt either.

Mike

MikeJhn":j2ujjt2t said:
Just watched the video and can't agree with what is said, he must have had a bad one, the table on my version is at right angles to the belt and bobbins, I don't get any crowning on the workpiece at the belt either.

Mike

That could have been the case, yeah.

I've seen that video too, which did put me off a bit. To be honest given the looks and the price, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit shonky, but if it does the job then it's a bargain. It would also be handy to be able to tuck it away when not in use, whereas the Excalibur is floor standing and looks to have quite a large footprint.

Leaning back towards the little'un, but would still be interested if anyone has used the Excalibur.

I am a bit surprised by that chap's video, the table can be taken off the chassis and shimmed if absolutely necessary, not a difficult exercise especially as the rear deck is what you need to check/shim to see if it is level with the front movable deck and then at right angles to the sanding belt/bobbin.

Mike

Back