Combination plane blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whybob71

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I own a stanley 50 (wooden handle) with blades and I'm quite happy with it. I'm also waiting for a complete 45 (just purchased on ebay).

Do the blades for my 50 fit a Record 044 (nickel body and handle)?
Is the 45 a real improvement compared to the 50?

The 45 has "only" the standar set of cutters. I belive that this plane (a later SW model) can fit also modern blades such as the set of irons for a 13-050. Is this true?

Many thanks
Bob

Hi Bob,

I have a Stanley #50 but find it nowhere near as good as the Stanley #45 or Record #405. I think the weight of the plane has something to do with it - the 45/405 is much heavier and far, far better in my view. You will find that the left-hand skate of the #45 will slide under the cutter, so that will give you a few more options. The skates on the Stanley #50 are fixed because the are both used to hold the blade.

Other than second-hand, the only source of new blades that I know of for the 45/405 is Clifton, who still make a Multiplane based on the 45/405. They sell the standard and additional range of cutters, but they are a bit expensive - see here http://www.classichandtools.com/acatalo ... Plane.html

Hope this helps :wink:

Paul

whybob71":ce8plhdk said:
Afraid not. The 50 uses a notch, unless it's old enough to have no adjuster, while the 044 has grooves on the back of the blade. The 044 blades are unique iirc; someone's bound to correct me if I'm wrong!

Is the 45 a real improvement compared to the 50?
Like Paul, I prefer it, but others swear by the 50 and merely swear at the 45. Personal choice really, and a good reason for having a range of planes to choose from so you can try them all. :wink:

The 45 has "only" the standar set of cutters. I belive that this plane (a later SW model) can fit also modern blades such as the set of irons for a 13-050. Is this true?
If you ignore the depth adjuster, you can get a whole range of cutters in there. I'm not sufficiently familiar with the modern ploughs and combis, but I have a feeling that yes, they'll fit.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2q24ubgm said:
If you ignore the depth adjuster, you can get a whole range of cutters in there. I'm not sufficiently familiar with the modern ploughs and combis, but I have a feeling that yes, they'll fit.

And you could probably cut a small notch in the blade with a hacksaw so that the depth adjuster could be used :wink:

Paul

I wish I could work out how my #50s is supposed to work, that thumb lever depth controller thing just flops about meaning you have to hold it to keep the blade at the right depth - that can't be right!

Paul Chapman":3avnnk6y said:
And you could probably cut a small notch in the blade with a hacksaw so that the depth adjuster could be used :wink:
Too much like work - I'd sooner skip the adjuster! :lol:

Thanks Paul (and Alf of course), I shall have to take a vada at that with the plane in front of me and see if I have better luck.

Alf":3n7knn82 said:
whybob71":3n7knn82 said:
Afraid not. The 50 uses a notch, unless it's old enough to have no adjuster, while the 044 has grooves on the back of the blade. The 044 blades are unique iirc; someone's bound to correct me if I'm wrong!

Err. Sorry and all that, but while the Record #050 does indeed have a notch (as shown in this wondrous doc: http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/Record-50-Manual.pdf)

The Stanley 50 and 50s have a "rack" on the back of the blade as per
http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/stanl ... /50man.pdf

Since the OP has a Stanley 50, the blades might fit the #044 if the rack spacing is compatible.

Just to make life miserable, the Record #050 has the notch on the left of the blade (as seen in use) and the Record #405 has the notch on the right...

per http://www.marquis-kyle.com.au/record405.htm

BugBear

mahking51":17j37glo said:
Vormulac
First time I've seen polari on the board 8) 8)
Martin (aka Sandy!) :D :D

I blame growing up listening to too much Goon Show, Round the Horne, Tom Lehrer concerts etc, I'm forever inadvertantly dropping obscure catchphrases and 40 year old punchlines into conversation. Good job polari isn't much used anymore otherwise people might well get the wrong idea about me!

How bona to vada your dolly old eek..

Vormulac - also known as J. Peasmold Gruntfuttock... :wink: :lol:

mahking51":29b11az6 said:
First time I've seen polari on the board 8) 8)
Bona!

Gruntfuttock? What about Ramblin' Sid Rumpo, then? :wink: ... and his cordwangle.

Sorry, Alf, it's an "elder" thing :wink: And you're right about the #044 - a real Record special

Scrit

Ah, Round the Horne - probably the best radio show ever. And poor old Auntie BBC never did twig what was going on - good job, probably :wink:

Paul

bugbear":2yp6qbw9 said:
The Stanley 50 and 50s have a "rack" on the back of the blade as per

http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/stanl ... /50man.pdf

Since the OP has a Stanley 50, the blades might fit the #044 if the rack spacing is compatible.
BB - that link appears to be broken.....

From memory the Stanley #50 grooves are a finer pitch than the #044, but that might just be an "elder moment", too.

Scrit

Alf":39fo19sl said:
someone's bound to correct me if I'm wrong!
See? :roll:

I'm fairly sure that the 044 notches aren't compatible with the later Stanley 50s (the earlier Stanleys, like one of mine, ain't got no adjuster at all of course) but my 044 is packed away and I haven't even unpacked the later Stanley 50 yet, so no, I ain't checking it. :p :lol:

Good grief, chaps, what is this? Next it'll be "Look at the bona lallies on that table" in the Projects section. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3b1vsqee said:
Good grief, chaps, what is this? Next it'll be "Look at the bona lallies on that table" in the Projects section. :roll:
Oooohh! Inneee bold!!

Scrit

Getting back on topic for a moment :roll: I've just checked and the blades from my Stanley #50 do fit my Stanley #45. In fact they are quite a bit shorter so, as Alf suggested, just ignore the blade adjuster and set the depth by sight and feel. I would guess most combination/multi plane blades would fit the #45 or Record #405 because of the way the blade holding bolt works.

Hope this helps :wink:

Paul

Many thanks for all the replays! :lol:

I assume that the record 044 has been designed as a simple plough plane to make just grooves. I was thinking of buying a 044 just for this task, wondering that the 45 may be to complicated to set. But, more probably, it's just a new relapse of the PD (Plane Disease) that, unfortunately, I have :wink:

whybob71":6xhvo5x1 said:
I assume that the record 044 has been designed as a simple plough plane to make just grooves.
Subject to BugBear's confirmation - yes. :wink:

whybob71":6xhvo5x1 said:
But, more probably, it's just a new relapse of the PD (Plane Disease) that, unfortunately, I have :wink:
They do say admitting the problem is the first step towards recovery. Rubbish - I've been admitting it for years and look at me. :oops: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Back