Coloured mdf

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grifta75

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm a newbie to the forum and this is my first posting.
I'm in the process of setting up a manufacturing shop for one off items as I'm sick fed up of site work. (I'm a joiner to trade)
Anyway I've been manufacturing mdf salon and bedroom furniture which I then send away for spray painting.
Today I read roughly of a mdf which has coloured pigments.
Does anyone have any knowledge of machining and finishing this and is it any good?
Many thanks
Ian

Ah, I've seen this stuff on TV and assumed it was the ordinary stuff dyed. You live and learn. It's still MDF though so I won't be using it ... :roll: :lol:

I noticed this in the blurb:

"undergone extensive testing in furniture applications"

They bought several dozen IKEA armchairs where I used to work. Within six months at least half of them had the legs snapped off where the MDF bases had given way. IKEA should have used ply. Makes you wonder what the life span is for MDF furniture. Can't see there being any MDF antiques in 150 years time unless they go straight into a museum unused! :lol:

Thanks for the reply folks, it's always good to hear back from fellow wood workers.
That's exactly the material I was looking at I was just wondering if you had used it personally and how the finish turned out.

Thanks again
Ian

Latest posts

Back