Coloured box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Another piece that I started at the beginning of the week but went wrong a couple of times and had to repaint it. The main pod is Ash and the ring stand is cherry. The wife thought I was making a lemon well with all the problems I felt like one.

DSCF7014%202_zpsnlxxybwj.jpg

DSCF7011%202_zpsmoijz5mn.jpg

DSCF7015%202_zps8vxvyedk.jpg

You live a colourful life, surprised at the choice of Ash for the box, respect its strength but would have expected the grain structure to have made grain independent surface texture and thin walls difficult to achieve.

Another crakingpiece, I really like that.

I had a few questions, if you dont mind. So nice I might even try it one day,so woukd like to try and understand

1. It looks like you coloured it using a rectangular template ...but I wondered if you used two or four colours? (or more!). I think I can see 4 shades but I wondered if the darker shade of each (green and blue) was a result of a second 'coat'

2. The metallic looking textured finish. Is that flocking or a spray of a metallic paint of some sort (I remeber being told at school that the walls were pinted with spotty paint...still makes me smile)

3. The inside looks almost as if it was lacquered... but I know you use resins from your pen work...so I wondered if it was a resin. I was assuming it wasnt just black gloss paint!

4. The turning itself ...I still cant figure out how you got the squiggly bit at the top .. is it an eccentric chuck thing or just a simple filing/sanding technique after the lathe work is done ...or something else ?

I really like ash for its strength in really thin sections...I used to make tiny wax 'sherry glasses' with walls less than 1mm for 'lost wax casting' (read 'turned ash' for 'wax') which worked pretty well for silver casting in a centrifuge...but no-one ever bought them so, like many things, they ended up as gifts!

I can see why you'd colour it though ...I dont like the look of ash grain so much

Anyway .. another reallynice piece :)

SVB":15ah6qp3 said:
Very nice piece.

What paints / application method do you use?

Simon

The paints are Jo-Sonja iridescent paints, the application was as simple as A piece of nyweb cut into a small piece and the paint dabbed on(Could not find my usual applicator so had to improvise)

CHJ":15ah6qp3 said:
You live a colourful life, surprised at the choice of Ash for the box, respect its strength but would have expected the grain structure to have made grain independent surface texture and thin walls difficult to achieve.

The design was going to be ebonised and lime waxed originally hence Ash being the chose of woods but like I stated it went wrong, managed to fill the grain with extra coats of spray rubbing down so as not to have a great thick top layer

Keithie":15ah6qp3 said:
Another crakingpiece, I really like that.

I had a few questions, if you dont mind. So nice I might even try it one day,so woukd like to try and understand

1. It looks like you coloured it using a rectangular template ...but I wondered if you used two or four colours? (or more!). I think I can see 4 shades but I wondered if the darker shade of each (green and blue) was a result of a second 'coat'

2. The metallic looking textured finish. Is that flocking or a spray of a metallic paint of some sort (I remeber being told at school that the walls were pinted with spotty paint...still makes me smile)

3. The inside looks almost as if it was lacquered... but I know you use resins from your pen work...so I wondered if it was a resin. I was assuming it wasnt just black gloss paint!

4. The turning itself ...I still cant figure out how you got the squiggly bit at the top .. is it an eccentric chuck thing or just a simple filing/sanding technique after the lathe work is done ...or something else ?

I really like ash for its strength in really thin sections...I used to make tiny wax 'sherry glasses' with walls less than 1mm for 'lost wax casting' (read 'turned ash' for 'wax') which worked pretty well for silver casting in a centrifuge...but no-one ever bought them so, like many things, they ended up as gifts!

I can see why you'd colour it though ...I dont like the look of ash grain so much

Anyway .. another reallynice piece :)

1. No templates just randomly applied. There are three colours

2. See answer to Simon aka SVB

3. It is an ebonising spray from Chestnut Products

4. Yes it is sanded and shaped after turning

That looks great, Derek. Great blend of colours and impressively turned box.

Back