Coffin Design and Construction?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenneth cooke

Established Member
Reaction score
as a practicing Buddhist we always contemplate death as it is topic that we can be certain will happen to all of us. As a Buddhist that practices cabinetmaking I should be interested in building my own coffin. I am thinking, possibly native elm. does anyone have any design plans or thoughts.

This is a serious enquiry not a wind up

I've never seen anything about coffin construction. Undertakers are, I guess, reluctant to publish plans (!), and my guess is that you would struggle to persuade a magazine editor to tp publish a HowTo either. It's a pity, as I'm sure a lot of woodies would at least be interested, even if they didn't want to make their own.

My understanding is that coffins are generally made out of veneered board, kerf-bent at the shoulders. I'm not sure how they stop the bottom falling out.

I've always said I would make my own if I have sufficient notice of my own demise. I think I'd have a big plain white panel on the lid and write on it the names of everyone I can think of who has ever meant anything to me. Then people could come along and see if I had remembered them :)

Elm was always the choice of wood for poor people, I believe, because it was a cheap undervalued timber. Now, of course, post-1970s, we see elm very differently.

Good luck in your quest and keep us informed!
S

Kenneth,
Im sure woodworking plans and projects magazine had an article on building your own coffin a few months ago.

Good luck

Joe

I know a woodie who has had his gravestone made, all it needs is the final date adding. Its 5 inch thick Aberdeen granite.
He has it mounted in a large legged frame and uses the back for lapping :lol: :lol:

I think if I had the storage space its a project I'd consider seriously.

I fancy Ash for mine

I too quite fancy making my own coffin, though at the age of 26 it's hopefully a bit premature. I want to spring load mine so that if in a thousand years or so some geeky little archaeologist digs me up my rotten corpse will be propelled clear into the air, though I will also put £10 in a high interest account to pay for the counselling they will need for the rest of their life.

Otherwise, I would like to be dressed as a Roman legion with a mobile phone in my pocket, that'll screw with history!

I also want my head stone to say 'my zombie is coming for you...'

Failing all that and if significant other doesn't die before me and she overrules my best laid plans, on my death bed I shall fill my pockets with fireworks and the cremation will go with a bang!

Aidan

Here's a page with some interesting links:

http://www.squidoo.com/coffin

I used to call round to a coffin makers in Stirling on business in the early '70s. I wish I had spent more time looking around, but when you're an apprentice it's the sort of place you couldn't leave fast enough!

Thank you for the links and interested to read the comments about Elm being for poor people. Fits the bill perfectly. I will contact British Hardwoods who supply Elm stock

lurker":2wt2lcbx said:
I know a woodie who has had his gravestone made, all it needs is the final date adding. Its 5 inch thick Aberdeen granite.
He has it mounted in a large legged frame and uses the back for lapping :lol: :lol:

I think if I had the storage space its a project I'd consider seriously.

I fancy Ash for mine

A very close female friend of mine recently lost her mother to cancer. In the week preceeding her death, she planned her own funeral, down to the inscription on her grave marker. She had her name in her own handwrighting engraved on the granite.

The friends father is also battling cancer. He's told his daughter that he's already left a copy of his signature with the stone mason, along with the payment, as he wants to be buried with his wife.

I can't imagine going through that. My friend said that her mother even wanted to have the wake before she died, seeings as she'd gone to all that trouble organising it all and didn't want to miss it!

rip Iris.

Elm was the timber of choice for coffins because of its suitablity for the purpose. Although its not particulary durable above ground, when used below ground it will last longer than virtually any other timber due to its abillity to survive wet conditions . hence its other ancient use as water pipes.

I went to a funeral a year or so ago and I was shocked by the poor quality of the coffin. It was made of Oak Faced MDF and had runs in the varnish all over the place.
I'd be quite happy to go in an MDF box but please no runs in the varnish!

Oryxdesign":19twek4s said:
I went to a funeral a year or so ago and I was shocked by the poor quality of the coffin. It was made of Oak Faced MDF and had runs in the varnish all over the place.
I'd be quite happy to go in an MDF box but please no runs in the varnish!

I was unlucky enough to have to bury both my mother and my maternal Grandmother within the last two years. Although both coffins cost around £1200 each, they were extremely poorly made of (badly) veneered ply. Obviously most people only buy these items a couple of times at most, are unlikely to complain and don't want to cause a fuss at an already stressful time.

To the OP I would say go for it!

A friend of a friend knew she had little time left and organised her funeral to the last detail. She was a humanist (I think!) and was buried in a field in a cardboard "coffin" decorated by her friends. The grave was also dug by her partner and some family and friends. The grave is more or less unmarked (a large natural rock being the only indication to those that know). The field forms part of a newt sanctuary and a donation procured the plot.

I can only speak on this for myself Pren, but when I was diagnosed with cancer I went through much the same exercise as you describe. Why? To save burdening anyone else with the task.
I think perhaps your friend was of a like mind.

Roy.

bigjoe":1eds8ugj said:
Kenneth,
Im sure woodworking plans and projects magazine had an article on building your own coffin a few months ago.

Good luck

Joe
Yes They did!
If you would like a copy of the article & Plans let me know.

I wish you luck in your project though I must confess I have never understood the need for very fancy and ornate coffins when they're to be burned or buried. It strikes me as odd and wasteful and even a little selfish.

I'd be quite happy to be buried in cardboard, I will be dead after all and won't have much of an opinion on the matter

It maybe selfish to have your coffin made from pink ivory and snake wood! However i'm only 25 and am thinking of building one for myself!

I see it as a bookcase or display cabinet in the front room! Until it's needed, which could be next week :shock:

Is that weird?

Firstly, thank you all for you input and suggestions, however there appears to be reasons why I cannot use a hardwood, Elm was my choice, as natural sites stipulate willow, pine, cardboard. So maybe I will not be building my own coffin after all. I have, however discovered a suitable site in The Yorkshire Dales National Park 3 miles from Settle which is one of my favourite areas anyway. I propose to visit the location in the near future and I have arranged for them to send me some literature. I am not planning to die in the near future but, of course, we never now which makes the whole thing so exciting

Back