Clock ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulm

IG paulm_outdoors
Reaction score
Strange thread title I know !

Started to think about doing some further conversion work on the large walnut slabs that have been drying out a bit in the workshop for a few months and started with this thin (probably a couple of inches thick) slab off the side of a crotch piece.

07B350C6-7F61-48D0-B5B9-B3137A747FC8-10439-00000FB9E3DFC760.jpg

Was undecided whether it was usable for anything as although I say a couple of inches thick, that is the max, and it is all in and out on the reverse side with the contour of the outside of the tree. Took the bark off anyway and wire brushed the remaining loose stuff off and then took the random orbit sander to the front face to take off the chainsaw marks, while I decided whether it would be cut up for the firewood pile or not :shock: :lol:

Thought about doing a bowl within the existing shape of the piece as I have seen a few on here that looked really good, but think that it has insufficient consistent depth to make that work or to mount it successfully. Also don't have anywhere to put the finished article as is about two foot long and a foot to eighteen inches across !

Having sanded it smooth I quite liked the colouration and figuring on the surface and decided to try some oil on it, which obviously darkened it quite a lot.

Thinking maybe I should insert a clock, about 6" diameter I think would look in proportion, so that I can hang it on a wall or stand on a shelf or similar, or maybe I should just leave it as is and do the same ?

Any thoughts or ideas welcome ? :D

Cheers, Paul

That's pretty clever Nev ! :D

Might well be the way to go actually, avoid having an actual clock face hide a lot of the timber :-k

Cheers, Paul

In fact, I've just ordered a clock insert and a few different style and size of hands from Axi' to give it a go :)

Cheers, Paul

Ideal option as long as you can figure out the time Paul, does go against the grain to obscure the character of the piece.

A bit of pale dodecagon hazel artwork to compliment the walnut maybe.

CHJ":bb39labi said:
A bit of pale dodecagon hazel artwork to compliment the walnut maybe.

Think I'll leave all that fancy wood engineering stuff to you Chas, I'm more of a rough, organic approach, can't be doing with fiddly (hammer) :lol:

Stabilised the punky areas at the top of the two branch bits with some superglue today, and a couple more coats of oil, still sucking it up !

Will leave to cure for a day or two now I think and then denib the front and give it a bit of a gentle shine with some wax, by which time hopefully the clock bits and pieces will have arrived from Axi' and I can figure out what will look best and finish it off.

After that it's negotiations with swmbo as to where it might live [-( :lol:

Cheers, Paul

paulm":32b548sl said:

That'll be the workshop then..... :lol:

Look forward to seeing the finished result.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":39xibhgt said:
paulm":39xibhgt said:

That'll be the workshop then..... :lol:

Look forward to seeing the finished result.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

She'll probably move me out there too Paul :lol:

Cheers, Paul

A good few coats of teak oil (for a change, usually use danish on most things but had a few bottles of teak oil getting in the way so thought I would try it for a change), couple of coats of wax on the front, acrylic lacquer spray on the back to seal it as it was a bit rough to wax, and then played around with some different sets of hands before settling on these.

Not sure the style of hands really work, looked better with a simple straight version but I only had those in a smaller size which weren't really big enough for this, so these will do until I find some different ones.

Pen in front to give an idea of scale, temporarily on the window cill in the study pending any other ideas, may well hang on the wall in there when I can figure out how to hang it !

IMG_0334.jpg

Wondering if I should have cut the left and right forks back a bit to change the proportions :-k Will live with it a while I guess and easy enough to change later if wanted.

Cheers, Paul

Hmmm, those roman numerals do look quite good :)

That's really helpful actually Nev, I'm useless at visualising things !!!

Cheers, Paul

Latest posts

Back