Clever Tool Chest - Wurth

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol, well on my very expensive paper processor I've just been making some CAD drawings of the box so when I've finished I'll try and upload a cutting list and stuff :)

The Mobilobox with wheels are a good design, They are all discounted at the moment.
The only alternative I've found is Tragbar.ch - as the rival designs from Sherpasystem and Ulmia are discontinued
Matt (looking for systainer replacement)

Sod it, I'm going to finish off the plans tonight and post them up for anyone who's interested. I'm going into the workshop in a minute to measure some tools.

I've not forgotten, I've just been a little preoccupied lately.

The drawings are getting there:

ToolChest.jpg

That's a good start, those dimensions are the same as the toolbox I saw.

Just for info, the circular metal pivot/bracket is 100 mm in diameter and the tang that sticks out is 40 mm long and 15 mm wide.

The pictures that follow might appear a little too large but for some reason Photobucket seems to be only doing one extreme or the other.

I've finally finished the drawings and started compiling a cutting list although I don't know when the project will get started. The
one thing I can't decide is how to front panel will be fitted, originally I'd planned on it being box jointed all the way round but then that looked a little silly so I was wondering if I could rebate the panel and fit it that way... any idea's?

ToolChest.png

ToolChest2.png

For some reason beyond my control the first image doesn't show the box joints I'd intended to use on the front panel but hopefully this link will work:
I'm a direct link!

Looking good.
Nice dimensions.

Rebating the panels (front & rear) is the way that I'm going to do it.

I'm thinking of 16mm BB Ply for the outside "walls" (lower, uppper, left & right) with 10mm BB Play for the panels.
The "walls" would be box jointed and the panels rebat(t)ed in about 8 mm.

Titus A Duxass":2u9yg4yv said:
Looking good.
Nice dimensions.

Rebating the panels (front & rear) is the way that I'm going to do it.

I'm thinking of 16mm BB Ply for the outside "walls" (lower, uppper, left & right) with 10mm BB Play for the panels.
The "walls" would be box jointed and the panels rebat(t)ed in about 8 mm.

I had originally thought about using 13mm material for the sides but 16mm sounds better with 10mm for the front, that way it should keep the weight down a little.

I'm not sure about the inside yet but obviously that can be designed around the tools as soon as the box is completed.

The_Stig":106fc9gb said:
I had originally thought about using 13mm material for the sides but 16mm sounds better with 10mm for the front, that way it should keep the weight down a little.

I'm not sure about the inside yet but obviously that can be designed around the tools as soon as the box is completed.

I did contemplate using 19 mm as offcuts are fairly easy to come by over here.
The weight side of things led me to 16 mm.

I agree with you on the inside.
I have to decide which tools are going to be stored in the box.

I've made a rough list in my head but time will tell but for example a tenon saw is a must but maybe a jack saw is just a little too long.

I'm interested in this tool box and I'm doing it in sketchup first to try and figure it all out.

If anyone has more dimensions for this I'd be most appreciative

Just don't make it too big, as when it's full of tools you may have trouble moving it ...

Here's a pic of what I have so far. I think I've worked out the mechanism but I'll have to make a mock up of it to see if it works.

I plan mainly the have the box in my shop for hand tools and only take it when I'm likely to need it.

Attachments

• toolbox.JPG
    toolbox.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 37
Back