Clever router finger joint jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who cares what it is called.

Question is - is anyone going to try it? ... be good to see some results

I already have too many things on my list to do, but I've added it at position #17 :D .. so we're probabkly looking at 2022

I think JSW is correct. Those finger joints look like they’re intended to extend boards whereas box joints are normally used in the corners of, err, boxes. New one on me I must say.

JSW":1o1ies4x said:
Steve Maskery":1o1ies4x said:
sunnybob":1o1ies4x said:
Am I the only person English enough to say thats a BOX joint, or at the very worst a COMB joint?

Finger joints are tapered, just like (most peoples) fingers.

Its an americanism that really rubs me wrong. (hammer) :shock:

Finger joint, box joint, comb joint are all interchangeable terms and have been used for as long as machines capable of making them have been around.

Can you post a picture of one of your tapered finger joints, please? I don't quite understand what you are describing.

On the other hand (no pun intended) can you post a picture of a box made with a finger joint cutter?

https://www.axminster.co.uk/axcaliber-f ... ter-666228

But you can’t make a box with it can you? The tapered ‘fingers’ won’t allow a right angle joint like a box/comb joint (unless I’m missing something).

Exactly my point, you can't make a box with a finger joint cutter. Hence a box joint is different to a finger joint.

transatlantic":3ho0g4r2 said:

I already have too many things on my list to do, but I've added it at position #17 :D .. so we're probabkly looking at 2022

Nah, not worth the effort in my opinion.
For a box joint jig to be effective, it needs to work from one reference point, like the spline and spacer jigs you see, or a threaded bar based jig.
This method is inherently flawed, I tried a very similar one a few years ago, where you add and remove 'keys' or pegs, just failed miserably, the tolerances needed just can't be achieved, too many variables, pressure on the keys while locking down for instance. Look again at the screenshot I posted, it's there to be seen.

Thats where the word "COMB" comes into play. (hammer)

Try to edge joint two 22 mm boards using those finger joints and see what happens :roll: :roll:

An impressive jig. possibly limited to a minimum finger/socket width of 1/2" due to the need for a bearing guided cutter.

Ive been making a few lately with 4 and 8mm fingers/sockets on my adjustable jig that would not be possible with this jig but nevertheless I like the principle.

JSW":27gj4quf said:
Nah, not worth the effort in my opinion.
For a box joint jig to be effective, it needs to work from one reference point, like the spline and spacer jigs you see, or a threaded bar based jig.
This method is inherently flawed, I tried a very similar one a few years ago, where you add and remove 'keys' or pegs, just failed miserably, the tolerances needed just can't be achieved, too many variables, pressure on the keys while locking down for instance. Look again at the screenshot I posted, it's there to be seen.

It all depends on how accurate you make it. Dovetail router jigs use the same concept, so it's hardly flawed. You just need very accurate keys and be sure to clamp them correctly.

I think if you were to use aluminium keys you would get better results.

And as I had said before, I had noticed the gaps :)

sammy.se":2g7ijqf5 said:
that's an overpriced jig

It's only £285 in the UK :lol: - also, the finger joint bit is an optional extra! It's also more expensive than the Incra adjustable one :shock:

ScaredyCat":1pzutlfl said:
sammy.se":1pzutlfl said:
that's an overpriced jig

It's only £285 in the UK :lol: - also, the finger joint bit is an optional extra! It's also more expensive than the Incra adjustable one :shock:

nah, its clearly says DELUXE, must be worth every penny.....but i think ill stick to my D4R :)

transatlantic":2py38wvw said:

I doubt it.

I actually hand cut my last set of box joints on a drawer I made. It took about 45 mins of nice quiet workshop time without dramas.

I suppose if you had loads to do it would be worth it, but then I'd probably look at a used Trend Jig, they can be had for £50-60, so not a lot of point in spending the time making this.

I once thought about making Mattais Wandel's screw advance jig, but I just don't have a project that justifies it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Bodgers":h1g2w0c3 said:
transatlantic":h1g2w0c3 said:

I doubt it.

I actually hand cut my last set of box joints on a drawer I made. It took about 45 mins of nice quiet workshop time without dramas.

I suppose if you had loads to do it would be worth it, but then I'd probably look at a used Trend Jig, they can be had for £50-60, so not a lot of point in spending the time making this.

I once thought about making Mattais Wandel's screw advance jig, but I just don't have a project that justifies it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

I know what you mean. Although I am rubbish with hand tools, and they take a lot longer, I do very much prefer it. It's very satisfying and soothing (when it goes right).

Back