cleaning saws , planes and chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harbo":3kppauzj said:
Camellia Oil £22.50 a litre from Workshop Heaven

That's a good price, Rod. But I've never found anything about WD40 the least bit unpleasant.

Pete

Camellia oil is kind to your hands.

Here's some info on WD40:
"The German version of the mandatory EU safety sheet lists the following safety-relevant ingredients:
60-80%: Heavy Naphtha (petroleum product), hydrogen treated
1-5%: Carbon dioxide
It further lists flammability and effects to the human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40 as risks when using WD-40. Nitrile rubber gloves and safety glasses should be used."

Rod

As an alternative to WD-40, I use a lubricant spray called GT85 which I got in a cycle shop.

Brilliant stuff - it evaporates off to leave a dry film and I've never had rust form on a metal surface which I treated with it. Also good on plastics.

Unfortunately, it's much harder to find than WD-40.

Vann":jg6my0ks said:
GazPal":jg6my0ks said:
Other than that, all I tend to use is 3 in 1 oil as rust preventative/inhibitor.
I was using that and/or Singer (sewing machine) Oil, but at $NZ13 for a 100ml bottle, I felt it was a little expensive (= $130 per litre - about £55 - £60).

I managed to pick up a litre of food-grade camellia oil for $NZ40.00 (about £18 ). It was near it's use-by date, but as I wasn't going to eat it, that doesn't worry me (my planes haven't thrown-up yet :roll: ).

Cheers, Vann.

A lot depends on whether you're bathing in it or dabbing the 3 in 1 on your planes and chisels. I think it only runs at £4.69 per 200ml tin and lasts for years. :)

Our old apprentice master used to swear by smearing tallow on saws, planes and chisels and there was never a spot of rust on his kit. I think the acrid odour scared away the rust, but it is well worth test driving and works well as a rust preventative, as well as lubricating screw threads, etc.

Ye olde worlde mineral oil via the chemist's shop and a threat of lemon essence works a treat and costs next to nothing.

I got two bottles of Camelia Oil from Matt and I still have a full unopened bottle and the better part of 3/4 of the other one. I use it liberally on the tools...no rust at all...and I use it as a honing lubricant on 3M lapping film also from Workshop Heaven.

Camellia oil is kind to your hands.

As I have said before...do NOT let SWIMBO know that...mine puts it on her face (as do Geisha girls) and everyone is remarking how young looking and smooth her skin is since then....

It is truly remarkable stuff!

Jim

jimi43":1zo9q3n7 said:
I got two bottles of Camelia Oil from Matt and I still have a full unopened bottle and the better part of 3/4 of the other one.

Yeah - with such a nice thin oil, it's very easy to use very little, giving a super-thin film.

Excellent stuff.

BugBear

Back