Clarke's bench drill press CDP5DD - cheapest model

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woden

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anybody got this model (the one at the top) of Clarke bench drill press? I’ve the suspicion that at that price it must be too cheap to be any good. Or am I wrong? Is this entry level version anything more than a glorified toy? Is it much of an improvement on your bog standard power drill in a drill stand?

More specifically, have any owners/users found there to be any play or wobbliness in the chuck? How is it for vibration – too lightweight or sturdy enough to dampen well? Basically, what I’m asking is this any use for precision drilling? I have smaller projects in mind like box making and am wondering if this bargain basement offering from Clarke would be a good user.

In other areas, what’s the torque like with what’s probably a fairly small motor as drill presses go? Is it up to drilling steel or work with large forstner bits? Is the speed easily changed? I take it there’s no rack and pinion mechanism for raising or lowering the table on a basic model like this. Is it an alan key job instead? Is there a keyless chuck?

Finally, how does it compare to the slightly more expensive entry level offering from Sealey shown below in that link? Lots of questions but I don’t know much about drill presses and so need a bit of guidance.

I have a very very old one of these. It is OK for general work and with sharp drills it manages well. It doesn't handle forstner bits above about 3/4 inch unless you take it very very slowly. There is no play in the chuck in spite of its age and the table adjusts easily and accurately. If I didn't already have this and was looking for one, I'd definitely go for a better (ie more expensive) model, but as I have it and don't use it much its fine. I've made a wooden plate that bolts to the table (swung to one side) so the axminster sanding drums can be used. It works well for that though I don't know how the side pressure will eventually affect the play oin the chuck.

I have a similar drill. Mine is a Titan from Screwfix. I tightened the clamp that holds the table to the 46mm column and the clamp snapped. I guess you get what you pay for. It depends how how much you intend to use it. If only now and again for light work then cheap is ok but if its going to be used regular then i would say look for an old used machine from Ebay etc.

woden
Hi I have this model and wish I could reccomend it to you but if you are doing any type of precision work I am afraid I cannot.

More specifically, have any owners/users found there to be any play or wobbliness in the chuck?

I have always suspected a slight wobble in the chuck!

In other areas, what’s the torque like with what’s probably a fairly small motor as drill presses go? Is it up to drilling steel or work with large forstner bits? Is the speed easily changed? I take it there’s no rack and pinion mechanism for raising or lowering the table on a basic model like this. Is it an alan key job instead? Is there a keyless chuck?

Torque is rubbish the slightest pressure when using forstner bits and you stall the motor irrespective to what speed you are using.

As for drilling steel I dont know I have only used it with wood.

No changing the speed is not easy! Changing the speed is a pain.

You are right there is no rack and pinion for raising the table its a two handed affair, and it uses a basic chuck complete with key.

Finally, how does it compare to the slightly more expensive entry level offering from Sealey shown below in that link?

As this is the only drill press I have ever owned I cant say how it compares but if I were thinking of buying a new drill press then I would look for something much more substantial and more accurate.
I hope this helps?
Phil.

woden":1iu8bc81 said:
Has anybody got this Clarke bench drill press?
Yes, for several years.

Is it much of an improvement on your bog standard power drill in a drill stand?
Yes, a vast improvement.

More specifically, have any owners/users found there to be any play or wobbliness in the chuck?
No play in mine.

Basically, what I’m asking is this any use for precision drilling?
At this price? You must be joking. None of the moving parts are properly balanced, so you do get vibration. All the adjustments are rough. The threads on the handles must have been cut using tose cheapo Chinese tap & die sets; they unscrew themselves with the vibration. Changing speed is by pulling a belt onto a different pair of pullies and then retensioning the belt. Difficult to get the tension right to minimise vibration & not be too tight. No rack on the table, just a pinch bolt.

But I have drilled 12mm holes in 5mm steel without problem, and 127mm holes using a holesaw. The chuck and chuck key are reasonably good quality.

I only use it for DIY; it's just a bit too good to throw away & buy a better one.

Have a look at the Axminster ND12, their basic pillar drill. Before this I had a cheapo Clarke model and it struggled with steel, and as mostly a metal worker this is not desirable.

Instead of chucking it out I put it on awellknownauctionsite and flogged it for than I paid for it!! I was careful to describe it accurately.

Being on a tight budget I looked at more expensive models but bought the Axminster model. A typical job for me involves drilling 40 x 7mm holes in 3 layers of 3mm strip back to back. At the end of this the motor is a bit warm. No complaints there. Drilling 13mm holes in 6mm plate (not a regular job) it did struggle a bit but we got there. It seems accurate and has decent chuck.

BUT and there has to be one, the length of the chuck means that the pillar it stands on is a bit on the short side. Changing the speed involves messing with the belt drive but I just leave it on a slowish setting all the time.

Overall a good budget option. Costing just under 60 quid including VAT, a good buy.

Chunkolini.

Why not get an old second hand one?

This one cost me £100
119903441_7fee076612.jpg

Well I lie, it was 3 phase so it cost another £100 ish for a motor and some tins of spray paint. So for £200 I got a drill that will drill perfectly and the chuck movement is over 6" :D

I have had this model for a number of years and to be honest I have had no problems with it. It is now surplus to requirements as it has been replaced with a larger model, also from Clarke.
That reminds me I must get round to putting it on ebay. At £10 it would make an even better buy, unless anyone here has a need for it.

Hi Gary, Which model are you sayog you have for sale, the Clarke one in the original post. The reason i ask is i could do with a pillar type drill for my garage (just starting out). How much are you asking for it, and where abouts in Tamworth are you (i have a friend going to the Landrover show this weekend so he might just be passing). That is unless anyone else has dib's on it, don't want to step on anyones toes ;)

I did try to PM you both but couldn't send one to Sean.

Let me know dovetail.

Gary

ah, no probs, no idea why pm isn't working for me atm, I'll look into it. As it turns out the show is in Yorkshire this weekend anyway, so he wouldn't be in the area.

Sorry I haven't got back to this, been rather busy again. Thanks for all the informative replies anyway.

Having given it some thought I think that maybe this Clarke model would be a bit too much on the budget side for my liking. I could probably stretch to around £100 or a bit more for my first pillar drill. I am glad though to hear that even this basic model is a big improvement on a hand drill clamped in a drill stand. I had visions of spending that much more on something that wasn't really any better than the very most basic approach.

For around the £100 - £120 mark would you get much of a better machine than Clarke's CDP5DD? I think Axminster offer a bench standing pillar drill for about this price.

I'd like to go down the second hand route but the problem for me is that I seem to live on the wrong side of the Irish sea as far as this option's concerned. Anything of this size that comes up on ebay is usually pick up only and somewhere in England so that rules that out for me. Unless, that is, I was buying something ridiculously expensive and the transportation costs made up only a small fraction of the over all price. But it's unlikely I'll ever be doing anything like that. As for looking for second hand machinery in Ireland (both NI and RoI) ebay is less than useless and while buyandsell.ie has stuff it's a different sort of site and doesn't provide the same in depth info. So unless you buy every local newspaper I don't know what you'd do.

Back