Clarke CDP201B Drill Press

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OPJ

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060710201&r=2042&g=106

I've been after a drill press for some time now and a few people on these very forums pointed me in the direction of the Clarke models from Machine Mart - and how I thank you now! :D

£117 is an excellent price for something that also offers itself as an accurate metalworking drill as well as being surprisingly well built and sturdy for a machine at this end of the market.

57170584-bd34-01800200-.jpg

I'd say it's rather large for an ordinary "bench-top drill", but since I had trouble on deciding whether to go for a floor-standing model, with the capacities this one offers (80mm drilling depth) I've found a very smart comprimise, just in case. :wink:

I have already used it to re-drill the plate in my Bosch router table to suit the cheap Silverline router I picked up a while back. It went through almost like butter! (Even though I stalled the countersink bit!! :oops: )

57170581-9840-02000180-.jpg

Changing speeds for different jobs and sizes is a real doddle. Lift up the hood and it's all about re-positioning two pulley belts. Best thing is, they've even included an 'on-hand' chart that works in both metric and imperial, dependant on the type of material you are looking to use.

Morticing attatchments are compatible (unlike the Axminster models in the same price-range) but according to Machine Mart themselves, the use of a sanding drum is NOT advised with this machine, for safety issues.

57170586-d5e1-02000180-.jpg

The only downside I have so far come across is that the tilt scale for the table was stuck in a position that would leave me 3mm over according to their 90 degrees.

Now I have one of these machines, and I am VERY pleased with it, I can think of two projects to add to the list - a table with fence for morticing/general woodworking and a wheeled storage cabint (similar to Adam's in last month's GWW) for permanent fixture.

After a little use though, one question still remains...

How on Earth does Norm get away with using one of these simply HOLDING the pice of timber in his spare hand?!? :shock:

Oswaldo!":boonuh0q said:
...but according to Machine Mart themselves, the use of a sanding drum is NOT advised with this machine, for safety issues.
:-s Safety issues? Did they expand on that at all?

Oswaldo!":boonuh0q said:
How on Earth does Norm get away with using one of these simply HOLDING the pice of timber in his spare hand?!? :shock:
Not that I ever do it myself of course :whistle: , but "a firm grip".

Cheers, Alf

Ha ha ha! :D

When I enquired, I actually sent them an e-mail rather than phoning (I've heard a lot about their staff...!)

The guy basically copy and pasted my question, added and colon and clicked reply, signing his name at the bottom. :wink:

But I previously e-mailed Axminster regarding the same thing with their drills. Okay, I got the same answer, but he also took the time to explain it was because of the JT2 taper chuck or something... And instead, I'd have to buy one of these other ones...

It went straight over my head (or perhaps, got stuck in my hair along the way!) :wink:

:)

If the machine has a morse taper for the chuck adaptor, unless it has a threaded retaining bolt down the spindle the firm location relies on the applied pressure when drilling. Using for sanding etc. could allow the morse taper to drop loose. Likewise it is possible for the chuck to similarly come detached from its taper, if firmly anchored in the first place all should be well, in fact parting them is more usually a problem on correctly machined parts.

HOWEVER; They are correct (From a Health & Safety point) to advise not to use machines that do not have threaded retainers for tasks that do not apply loads conducive to retaining the chucks. Low cost machines are more likely to have less than perfect tapers.

Sheesh, I've been using a drum sander in my Axminster drill press for yonks - I'm sure they never said I couldn't. :roll: Oh well, if it drops off the dust ex will suck it safely out of harm's way anyway.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3ir954ca said:
Sheesh, I've been using a drum sander in my Axminster drill press for yonks - I'm sure they never said I couldn't. :roll: Oh well, if it drops off the dust ex will suck it safely out of harm's way anyway.

Cheers, Alf

So have thousands of other people Alf with no ill effects, but if you were retailing to the public in the current HSE/product liability/compensation culture then I would think that you would do likewise.

Alf":2qqaiemh said:
I think I'd stop selling drum sanders with the unqualified statement "suitable for mounting into drill press or power drill" first... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Yes it would appear that some people do not have all the editing done yet.

One word of warning - the chuck is located in the drive quill with the conventional Morse taper which requires axial loading to keep it securely in place; if the head is used in the horizontal position in conjunction with a sanding drum or polishing mop there is a risk of the chuck coming loose.
from these product descriptions

...if the head is used in the horizontal position in conjunction with a sanding drum or polishing mop there is a risk of the chuck coming loose.
:-s So it's okay to use one in the vertical position then? :? I wasn't confused much before, but by gum I am now! :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":zf0sau2h said:
...if the head is used in the horizontal position in conjunction with a sanding drum or polishing mop there is a risk of the chuck coming loose.
:-s So it's okay to use one in the vertical position then? :? I wasn't confused much before, but by gum I am now! :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Presumably it's OK to drop onto the Table but not onto your toes :lol:

I use drum sanders in my Axminster drill press all the time. It has fallen out a couple of times but as long as the table is close to the bottom of the drum it just drops onto the table, the drill still goes round but the drum stops as it is no longer in the taper. No drama or excitment, just push teh chuck back in and carry on.

John

Johnboy":48s7di8c said:
I use drum sanders in my Axminster drill press all the time. It has fallen out a couple of times but as long as the table is close to the bottom of the drum it just drops onto the table, the drill still goes round but the drum stops as it is no longer in the taper. No drama or excitment, just push teh chuck back in and carry on.

John

Thanks for confirming a fact that anyone from an engineering workshop background should be aware of, unfortunately in todays climate with a lack of school workshop facilities & limited apprenticeships basic safety practises like this get forgotten.

Another area that does get mentioned but only if you read the subject more deeply is using a "jacobs style chuck" with a morse taper in a Lathe headstock, to be intrinsically safe it should have a retaining bolt if it is used to hold small items, used for reverse drilling is OK without as pressure maintains the grip.

CHJ":7iz6ajwz said:
Johnboy":7iz6ajwz said:

John

Thanks for confirming a fact that anyone from an engineering workshop background should be aware of, unfortunately in todays climate with a lack of school workshop facilities & limited apprenticeships basic safety practises like this get forgotten.
And what about dust extraction...? :roll: :lol: Kill two birds with one stone; a box with a hole in the top for the drum sander and a hole in the side for the vacuum hose, position the press table so the bottom of the drum is just within the box, turn on vacuum, turn on drill press, good support from the top of the box for the workpiece, excellent dust extraction, and if the chuck drops out it'll drop into the box all safe and secure. Would have been easier to post a pic but my site's gone awol again. :(

CHJ":7iz6ajwz said:
Another area that does get mentioned but only if you read the subject more deeply is using a "jacobs style chuck" with a morse taper in a Lathe headstock, to be intrinsically safe it should have a retaining bolt if it is used to hold small items, used for reverse drilling is OK without as pressure maintains the grip.
Yeah, I'm glad I picked up that advice when I equipped my lathe. Think it might have been from Ian Wilkie's series on turning - I went more or less word-for-word on what he advised and haven't had to upgrade anything. The Jacob's chuck is the only one I have to hold stuff on the lathe, so that advice probably saved me a lot of grief.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3g3rcoob said:
...snip...snip..
And what about dust extraction...? :roll: :lol: Kill two birds with one stone; a box with a hole in the top for the drum sander and a hole in the side for the vacuum hose, position the press table so the bottom of the drum is just within the box, turn on vacuum, turn on drill press, good support from the top of the box for the workpiece, excellent dust extraction, and if the chuck drops out it'll drop into the box all safe and secure. Would have been easier to post a pic but my site's gone awol again. :( ...snips galore...
Cheers, Alf

Well that would at least negate most of the risk and certainly kill two birds with one stone so to speak. Mind you, you are probably going to have to stand on a "Safety Beer Crate" to reach the sanding bobbin with the drill head swung to horizontal. :lol:

CHJ":1moahvch said:
Mind you, you are probably going to have to stand on a "Safety Beer Crate" to reach the sanding bobbin with the drill head swung to horizontal. :lol:
I'm sorry, but that's just not safe - where are the guards? The harness? And how exactly has the emptying of the beer crate been facilitated...? :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":kqohchyo said:
And what about dust extraction...? :roll: :lol: Kill two birds with one stone; a box with a hole in the top for the drum sander and a hole in the side for the vacuum hose, position the press table so the bottom of the drum is just within the box, turn on vacuum, turn on drill press, good support from the top of the box for the workpiece, excellent dust extraction, and if the chuck drops out it'll drop into the box all safe and secure.

If you take a look here you will see the table that I made just for this very use. :D

Alf":3pdpc7nq said:
CHJ":3pdpc7nq said:
Mind you, you are probably going to have to stand on a "Safety Beer Crate" to reach the sanding bobbin with the drill head swung to horizontal. :lol:
I'm sorry, but that's just not safe - where are the guards? The harness? And how exactly has the emptying of the beer crate been facilitated...? :wink: :lol:
Cheers, Alf

Alf, are you trying to tell me that using these:

__
DSC01363.JPG

To do this is:
DSC01364.JPG
DSC01365.JPG

is a NO NO :shock: :lol: :lol:

After all they have been in storage a while and moisture content has dispersed.

And just in case someone does not know me I Am Joking!

Alf":32e9qyt1 said:
Sheesh, Chas, never mind the beer crate, what about that electrical spaghetti you have there?! :shock:

Looks worse than it is, Honest Alf,
DSC01368.JPG

just a 4way socket fed from an RCD for the 'Tailed' tools' and a timer fed extension for my cordless battery chargers on an adjacent shelf. Oh, and of course you can see at least one German extension socket lead dangling from its sky hook, a lot of my tools have German plugs, so much more convenient than our larger versions.

What you cannot see is that any fixed items in my shops such as the pillar drill and my lathes have a separate Earth Bonding lead(does not rely on the tail plug.)
DSC01366.JPG
DSC01367.JPG

and all other tools have their tails checked and those with earth requirements are bonding checked during any shop cleanup session.

Alf":32e9qyt1 said:
P.S. What was the topic of this thread again...? :oops:
Find it difficult to keep to the straight and narrow these days, hopefully there will still be a few nuggets of practical help for someone during the wanderings though.

This is the sort of thread that reminds me why i like this forum: as a self taught/still learning amateur, the rationale for warning against using a drum sander with a tapered quill would never have struck me - until the drum sander did, that is... :roll:

Maybe I'll tap through my chuck/quill to take a piece of sharp steel - a broken screwdriver should do... Then when I start it all up, the steel rod will stop the drum from falling - and the concentration required to spot it as it flies out at face height should keep me perfectly safe... :lol:

Back