chucking problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexf

Established Member
Reaction score
Did I buy the wrong chuck?. I bought a versachuck model T which is their small version. If I try to hold anything longer than the diameter to make a vase or goblet, the wood moves off centre whenever I touch it with a gouge. I realise that I should probably have bitten the bullet and gone for a larger chuck but too late for that now.
Surely even this lighter model should be able to hold a block of wood to make a small goblet or would I have this problem no matter which chuck I used? :(

Alex,

First let me say I am not a turner, but from my metal turning experience I think you need to use a centre in the tail stock while you do most of turning. This will support the work and stop it moving in the chuck.

Hi Alexf, and welcome to the forum.

It would be better if you could explain what type of jaws you are using, some types lend themselves better to long overhang on the work than others.

As a general rule of thumb, the more support the better, SO when you form the spigot make sure the shoulder is square or slightly undercut. Ensure the spigot is slightly shorter than the jaw depth and use the tail stock to hold the piece hard into the jaws while tightening up so as the shoulder is hard up against the top of the jaws. Always use the tail stock if possible.

Good luck!

As Dave says, use the tailstock for support. I thijnk there's more on technique in other threads on here if you need/want it

I'm not familiar with that chuck but the 'hold' is dependent on the depth of the jaws ... see the difference between Record's 'shark' jaws and the standard set for example.

Edit: simultaneous posts Tam :wink: (or maybe you can type faster than me :lol:

Back