3-jaw chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart little

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a 3-jaw self centreing chuck with a M33 x 3.5 mounting or how to adapt one to fit. I'm only wanting a low cost one to make an easier way fr holding small diameter dowels for model ship masts because the SC3 jaw flanges often get in the way. Thanks guys in advance.

Just get a ER20 collet chuck and a set of collets - they'll go from 1.5mm - 13mm. Put a draw bar on it and fix it through the headstock. The cheapest available will be adequate, Aliexpress or Banggood. Useful for drill bits in the tailstock as well.

Just get a ER20 collet chuck and a set of collets - they'll go from 1.5mm - 13mm. Put a draw bar on it and fix it through the headstock. The cheapest available will be adequate, Aliexpress or Banggood. Useful for drill bits in the tailstock as well.
Thanks Phil, that's exactly what I've been looking at. Thanks too the other guys, but the Axey kit is a bit on the high side for me as I'd need several more collets, although they're cheaper elsewhere. In the meantime I've ordered Record Power's plastic soft jaws, which can be machined to suit. :)

I have a 2" 4 jaw chuck which would be ideal for small dowels etc. I think the Toolpost used to sell them but I saw them for sale recently on the Beaufort Ink website
Thanks Paul, Another route I was thinking about, but couldn't come up with a suitable adaptor until reading this. I'm going to see if either the chuck on my Proxxon micro lathe, or one left over from binning a China mini-mini 'lathe' will fit Toolpost's adaptor.

Hi Phil, just ordered a straight-shank ER20 chuck ,spanner, & setof 12 collets from Shop-apt (£71.00 +p&p) . The collets were half Axey's price. I'll just cut the shank to length & hold it in the lathe chuck.

Stuart

Latest posts

Back