Chuck advice please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digitalsmokehead

Established Member
Reaction score
I will be buying an AWSL in the next few days and would appreciate advice on which chuck would suit both the lathe and my needs. Being a beginner i'll be trying to turn all manner of objects.

Due to the size of the lathe i'll not be turning anything over 250mm wide so will the 80mm K8 be suitable ? or should I go bigger with the K10 ? Is this too much ?

Thanks for your time.

Go for the K10 it is the one I use on my AWVSL with no problems. The problem with the K8 is that the number of jaws you can get for it is very limited I would also recomend the Odonnel jaw set HERE I use these for 95% of chuck work.

Also I would recommend you spend the extra and get the AWVSL.

john

I too would recommend the K10. It does not matter for the lathe which you get but as has been said, it will give you more options for jaws in the future, hold larger pieces if you get the bug and upgrade in the future (don't say it won't happen, too many have slipped down that slope for anyone to believe you!) and also, if turning falls out of favour, will be much easier / more attractive as an used item.

PS - APTC did have a bundle with jaws etc discounted. Even if they are not still doing it, might be worth asking if you play the pity card!!!

Best of luck and welcome - see, the world is round after-all!!

Simon

I have just started turning and I ordered the AV, and even as a rookie I can see and feel the benefits of the variable speed.

I also ordered the K10 basic package just at the end of the Dec it arrived today the part number I ordered was 718634 £99.95(saving of about £38), if you want to and have trouble ordering it you could also tell them that is also in the Woodturning magazine Feb issue page 73.

As always I'm a big fan of the versachuck from Toolpost - I love being able to use anyone's jaws but then again Axminster is not exactly lacking in choices on that front :)
Miles

Thanks for the advice fellas.

Being a total novice i've been getting a bit carried away with getting everything I need in one go. After much thought i decided to spend more on my lathe to start with which and get a larger capacity model, means that i'll have to wait a while to get an adjustable chuck. I just wanted to jump straight into turning bowls and didn't realise that an adjustable gripping chuck just makes things quicker and simpler and isn't necessary just yet.

I think you are right to get the best lathe you can afford from outset but be sure to have enough to fund initial tools and sharpening.

Money well spent on the Keith Rowley book ; Woodturning: A foundation course will guide you. He also demonstrates techniques not using modern chucks

enjoy

Colin

Back