Christmas Ornaments

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG

Established Member
Reaction score
These have been fun, and a real lesson finding the correct blade, tension and speed. All made from scrap pine that I put through the PT until I had it 1" square. These have been made in order of appearance, so hopefully the last one is the best cut.

I gave our lass the first one to unwrap, meaning I gave it her as it came off the saw with all the tape on etc. As she gently removed all the off cuts I prayed it was going to come OK, it was bloody fantastic seeing her face light up.
She didn't want to know how I made it, she said it would spoil the magic. I started with a No7 blade switching to a No5, and both seem to struggle going with the grain, but cut across the grain no problem.
On the last two I switched to a No3 which made life a lot easier.

If our lass was impressed with the ornaments she was blown away with the raindear :D Although she now wants a complete set :shock: I hadn't snapped a blade up to doing these, but on the large one I've ruined a bandsaw blade trying to make it cut tight curves, I broke both the pinned blades that came with the scroll saw, and the snapped a No7 and No5. The little one was cut on a No5 reverse cut.

The tealight stand came out a little rough, and it took a while to cut trying to find the best blade/tension/speed combination, plus it was quite late and the back, eyes and legs were aching. The scroll saw is on the bench so I've been standing kind of bent over doing these. Will need to get a bit more organised in the New Year.

And last but not least, a Snowman in 3mm plywood. I thought this would be a doddle, and it was until I came to the snow flake! I used a No2 on this and struggled focuing trying to follow the template, but I got there :)

I need some fine sandpaper to clean them all up, and some linseed oil, although I'd like to try painting some of the next tree ornaments I make. I reckon I'll be making a few of these for next year, our lass showed a few work mates and they've all put orders in. Seriously need to get organised though, I need to get the saw off the work bench and find a nice comfy chair, better lighting and either magnifying glasses or an A4 magnifier which has been recommended.

They are great! have you seen the video on Youtube of a guy cutting a spiral with a scroll saw? will try and find the link as its interesting to see how its done.
We have some flooding on our land today so it might be worth it if you make an Ark and fill with animals lo our farm track is like a river at the momentl

Back