Chose a vice question again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mathias

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

The general recommendations often are "go for a second hand Record vice". I live in France and the second hand market for Record type 52 1/2 hardly exist here. Most sellers in UK will not ship, postage is very expensive and/or I find it difficult to judge how used the vice is.

With information found here and other forums I've found three new quick release vice alternatives:

Dakota DK2020 (53€ plus shipping)
Eclipse EWWQR9 (94€ shipping included)
Fine-tools 52 1/2 (129€ shipping included)

Could you share your comments and perhaps user experiences for those vices?

Are there other vice I should look at?

I should add it is not for professional use but I do like good quality stuff and I'm very pleased with the Record planes (so far a 4, 6 and 44) bought on UK ebay.

I had (and returned to a local supplier) an Eclipse EWWQR9 if only because I then found the Dakota DK2020's for half the price. I bought 3 Dakota's and modified them as outlined here;

moxon-record-53-clone-vice-modification-wip-t95017.html

I had the Eclipse and the Dakota in the shop at the same time for comparison and in my opinion the Eclipse has the edge (if only slightly). The Eclipse is a little larger in the height of the jaws and a little meatier in quantity and weight of metal. The finish on the Eclipse is also slightly better but then this is easily overcome in a few minutes with some abrasives.

I have no experience of the Fine Tools 52 model however it does have a superior quick release mechanism to the two above and I expect is probably worth the cash (based on my own experience of DS products).

I note the Dakota is not in stock with Rutlands which strangely ran out in the same week of my thread up there ^. This is of course assuming your looking at Rutlands as a stockist?

You may want to consider Axminster, they have similar vices here;

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-tr ... e-ax947212

They interestingly have a 266mm width version for round 129 euros although I don't know what shipping will be to France.

Personally, in your position (geographically) I'd plumb for the Fine tools vice. Probably easier to deal with issues should any occur, you know the quality will be right and the quick release mechanism is the best out of all three vices.

Hope this helps.

Very helpful, thank you.

I doubt the Axminster will be better then the vices from Fine-Tools and as the prices are close I would feel safer/better ordering from them. I'll keep the Dakota on my list in case I find the Fine-Tool vice too expensive.

mathias":1973gno4 said:
Very helpful, thank you.

I doubt the Axminster will be better then the vices from Fine-Tools and as the prices are close I would feel safer/better ordering from them. I'll keep the Dakota on my list in case I find the Fine-Tool vice too expensive.

I too doubt the quality of the Axi vice will better the Fine-Tools version but the reason I raised it was that they offer three sizes, a small 175, a mid 225 *similar to the ones you already pointed out and (at around 100 euros) and the 266mm version which is unusual and significant.

Just to add and in defense of the Dakota, it certainly worth the money, however if you find the Fine-Tools one less budget friendly, the Eclipse would be a good compromise and a slightly better vice than the Dakota.

Good luck either way.

Back