Chopping down a 20' laburnum tree any takers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutting42

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I have a 20' Laburnum tree which is in the way of a pending extension. I will be chopping it down this weekend and wondered if the wood is any good to work with? I know that turners use it but I am not a turner. It won't be dried or anything but does it have any value aesthetically?

Gareth - if you can get it planked somehow, its worth keeping and even worth seasoning for turning blanks. Small limb wood can make excellent little projects or maybe turned handles. The timber has a very dark heart and light sap and in my book is definitely worth keeping - Rob

Don't forget the seeds from the pods are poisonous. So if you have kids keep them away.
Mind you no pods until the flowers are gone.

Dom

DomValente":3k46ahez said:
Don't forget the seeds from the pods are poisonous. So if you have kids keep them away.
Mind you no pods until the flowers are gone.

Dom

Hi Dom

Yeah that was one of the reasons for removing it as well. In fact pretty much all the greenery is poisonous as well as the seeds.

Gareth, Laburnum is good for turning ,I made a lovely little bowl out of it when I first started , I think you might as well post in the woodturning section,light the blue touch paper and stand well back. :lol:

If you lived a bit closer I would be more than willing to take some off your hands. Laburnum is a beautiful wood for turning as has been said. Post it in that forum and you will have no problem. Probably have a queue outside the gate

Pete

Yes please!

Love to help you out - happy to take some off your hands.

I'm just across from you a bit in Welwyn Garden City.

PM me if you like?

Thankyou in anticipation!

(seen a number of good pieces, but I've not yet tried turning any myself)

Latest posts

Back