Choosing a 5 1/2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgrbff

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd like to try a 5 1/2. I'm in Italy so I can't pop out and try one.
Which make, or age if used, would be considered "best bang for buck"?
In the past I've been spoilt, I've had a few Lie Nielsen, but they are way out of my league now, and I've already sold the one I never used.

might have a bit more metal in em.....
but as long as they are sharp I dont think it matters....

for a laugh u could ask on here the best way to sharpen the blade.....hahaha.....

might have a bit more metal in em.....
but as long as they are sharp I dont think it matters....

for a laugh u could ask on here the best way to sharpen the blade.....hahaha.....
Don't think so. But I know whose side I'm on.

Attachments

• oilstone.jpg
    oilstone.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 42
I think I prefer the blue record ones to stanleys, it's getting harder to find earlier ones now though.

I have one record plane, can't remember which one as it's packed away. I don't remeber ever using it as compared to the LN it really didn't feel great. I'll have to dig it out. Knowing me its probably a 5 1/2.

One of my favorite users is a 1950’s vintage Stanley 5-1/2, stock blade and chipbreaker. It just feels right! I like new and modern, but sometimes the wheel does not need re-invented. I’d search out a vintage Stanley or Record (and if you’re lucky, maybe you’ll locate a Millers Falls version).

The quality control was better in the older ones. That's not to say a newer one will be bad, but the chances of striking a bad one is greater. Record kept their quality control up longer than Stanley.
I would say the manufacturing process was designed to produce higher quality tools. A quality control system won't be of much help if the manufacturing process is shoddy to begin with.

I would say the manufacturing process was designed to produce higher quality tools. A quality control system won't be of much help if the manufacturing process is shoddy to begin with.

Too much modern techno-speak ;):).

Okay, I'll reword that. During the manufacture of older ones, the guys machining and assembling them used more skill to produce a better plane. Later they were probably allowed less time per plane to get them right. Towards the end they just assembled them using next to no skills.

Cheers, Vann.

The 5.5 is larger than a 5 so a tad more weight. But the 5.5 is a very good go to plane. A general all purpose plane. It will see a lot of use.
Many projects tend to be small. Boxes, drawers etc. so the 5.5 will joint many smaller boards. Sure, if your working on a long stile. Your going to need a 7 or 8. But how often do you need to do that.

The older original 5.5 planes are what your looking for. Record, Stanley, or even Sorby. But these are usually not bedrocks. The Clifton is also a very good plane especially the green ones.

I have been getting by with a Fulton 5. I have have been waiting months to get a Lie Nielsen 5.5. Almost got a Lie Nielsen 5 because it was available but figured I wait.

LN is running batches of 5.5 and they sell out fast. People know what they want. I got one in February. The plane was perfect. It has the weight to work as a shooting plane and the balance is perfect. The machine work is perfect.

I tried to find a 605.5 bedrock sweet heart but couldn’t. I found a few from the 1890 to 1910 period with round sides. But my search is over. The LN 5.5 is a lifelong keeper and user. It is the perfect 5.5.

One of my favorite users is a 1950’s vintage Stanley 5-1/2, stock blade and chipbreaker. It just feels right! I like new and modern, but sometimes the wheel does not need re-invented. I’d search out a vintage Stanley or Record (and if you’re lucky, maybe you’ll locate a Millers Falls version).

same here mine is a 50s one and many people pooh pooh them, they are just as good as the earlier ones in practise once set up properly.

Not si
same here mine is a 50s one and many people pooh pooh them, they are just as good as the earlier ones in practise once set up properly.
Not sure what you mean. WW2 vintage anything had some shortcuts. But after the war until Stanley quit, many planes were made in England. I have a late 71 router with made in England. Stanley did make som rubbish planes during this period but they also made or sold some good ones. You have to do your homework on the particular models. I was in a second shop a week back and there were lots of planes. All Stanley copies but second class was quality. Priced like Stanley’s too. I just left. There was a lot of history between record, Stanley, Bailey, etc. it’s to complex to study and time consuming to explain when your looking for a user.

I guess my pair of 5 1/2's are from about that era.
Nice hefty castings compared to many I've seen.
I particularly went out of my way to find another the same.
"particularly" as in, try finding another buy it now with the same heavy castings for reasonable cost, not caring about a bit o rust, not that their was but bought this for 50 euros all in.
Heavy castings is the best bet for a solid plane, should it be problematic and need to be sorted.
Hard to get two photos (both front and rear) to see whether those castings are hefty or not, many photos are taken at odd angles, with this seemingly being the case more often than not looking at those shined up tools being sold on cloth tables.

Hefty casings, no damage, and plenty of iron left, the latter only hopefully so.
That's all is important to me.

Tom
SAM_2351.JPG

Woden and w.s also made some nice planes with heavy well machined castings not has plentiful has records or Stanley's but nice planes

Last edited:
Back