Chisel Techniques For Precision Woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicguthrie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey folks.

I remember watching a video with the above title (or something close to it) about two years ago, when I found it on YouTube.

I'd only just started doing some woodwork at the time for the first time in 20+ years, and the instruction I got from that video was utterly priceless to me. However almost all the work I've done in the last year has been without any chisel work, so I felt a little rusty. I went back to YouTube tonight to watch it again and found that the video has been withdrawn from the site because of some copyright claim by Lee Valley or something.

The links are totally removed, so if it was not for the remains of it in my favourites list, I'd not even know the beginning of the title. I don't know the name of the fella giving the instruction, but he was English, carefully measured in his speech and apparently very very good with a chisel :) I remember him having gray hair (lots of it) but other than that, I wouldn't be much use spotting him in a police line up! :oops:

Does anyone know who this was, and if there's a way to get the video another way? I presume that if it's been copyright claimed, then it may be part of some instruction set... If so, is there other subjects included that may be worth buying as a set or something? (Not that I have much hope there, most instructional series that I've seen for sale are way out of my price range)

If anyone can guide me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it, and if I can find out any further details, I'd deeply suggest to the other newbie woodworkers in the forum to watch it, even if the professional woodworker that I know argues a little with some of the techniques there, it was a great foundation for better use of chisels, transformed me from struggling to chop out a mortice, to hand cutting and hollowing a storage box for my marking knife the next day from an offcut.

Help would be appreciated.

Nic.

It is an excellent video, David's presentation is almost like a meditation on chisel techniques, I'd love to take one of his courses someday.

I have a spare copy of the DVD that came as part of a bundle with some Lie Nielsen chisels, after I'd already bought a copy for myself.

If anybody's interested please PM me - best offer by Sunday evening can have it with all proceeds going to the Disasters Emergency Committee Philippines typhoon appeal.

http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals/philippines-typhoon-appeal

To my enormous embarrassment the DVD case is empty - so the offer is withdrawn, as penance I will chuck £20 toward the appeal - mea culpa, mea maxima culpa...

Kev

Thanks very much guys. I may look into getting myself a copy of that sometime then, is there a set with more than just the chisel techniques?

Having just shelled out for a set of Tormek jigs to fix the grinds on my turning tools, it won't be this month (or likely next, those things are expensive!), so I guess I'll be perusing Mr Sellers' version on YouTube this weekend instead!

The fella that did the video I was asking about, is that the same David Charlesworth that I see post in this forum occasionally?

If so, I do love the way that some of the big players and known figures in woodworking continue to behave as "real people" and take part in forums like this, there's a sort of kind humility in the woodworking communities that I'm still not used to, as it's lacking horribly in the science community that I'm originally from, and in the business world in general, where I had to earn my living. It's refreshing, helps me regrow a little faith in humanity :)

If anyone knows of any other resources of even close to the same quality that I can view online, it would be very much appreciated if you could send me links here. I'm often in too much pain to concentrate enough to read efficiently, and a woodworking video that lets me learn good information while I'm incapacitated is good for the soul :)

Nic.

Back