chisel handel type

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurcher

Established Member
Reaction score
do you have a prefered style of handle on your chisels or you happy with what they come with .
i find the old marples splitproof very very good fit in my hand the trditional marples type boxwood handle is not as comfoteble for me . with artritis in my hands.

I did a set of London pattern for last year's s/s (pictures of which were not posted) - up to then I'd not seen much in them, but they just fall into your hands. If I come across any damaged Wards or anything particularly nice I shall rehandle with them.

I love London pattern, I just love the feel and stability they offer in your hand.

I used to like London pattern handles but found they hurt my hands if I worked with them for too long. I've switched over to boxwood carver pattern for most things and think it offers the ideal for both good ergonomics and good looks.

The Sorby gilt edge chisels have a particularly comfortable version IMHO, nice and bulbous.

It's odd how preferences vary!

When used for light or heavy chopping, I don't really mind what shape handles are. For the sort of tappy-tappy light mallet work used when, say, cleaning up dovetails, I often grip the chisel by the blade to have more control over positioning of the cutting edge, and when doing whack-whack stuff, anything you can get hold of, really. I do now have a preference when paring - I like a chisel with smooth, rounded handle surfaces and a large, flat top to spread the load over my palm (or shoulder, sometimes). The domed end on some chisel handle styles digs in uncomfortably. That said, for smaller chisels - say 1/2" and below - it doesn't really matter much as long as the chisel's sharp! Thus, my favourites tend to be close to carver pattern (Ashley Iles b/e chisels are about spot-on for me), or the old bog-standard turned beech ones. I've not tried the 18th century tapered octagonal pattern, but they look very usable.

As said, I do like L/P handles but for simplicity if doing your own, there's a lot to be said for the other one -
DSCN2118.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2118.JPG
    DSCN2118.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 852
Back