'Child-safe' wood glue ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodMangler

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. I want to make my grand-daughter a baby's rattle rather like this one http://lumberjocks.com/projects/44896 , but in beech. I've bought some child-safe rattle inserts and intend to embed one in the handle. I'll have to bore a hole for it, and and cap the hole with a glued-in plug of the same wood.

My question is, what is the safest glue to use on a wooden item which will inevitably be 'chomped-on' by a teething child ?

I can't imagine that PVA would be at all hazardous, but you could always use an oganic, edible glue such as hide glue (available in a convenient ready to use liquid version) or fish glue or rabbit skin glue. (I can't guarantee the taste of any of these!)

However, I thought the point of the trad design was that the rings rattle without any extra inserts being needed!

I made one very like the one in the picture but out of a piece of cherry tree the weekend before last, using a pole lathe. It rattles well enough without inserts or glue, honest. If you want more rattle, you can turn more rings !

Louise-Paisley":2z82ju5b said:
PVA glue is the glue of choice for children to use, all schools use it, at least one child in every infant class sits and drinks it :D
The level some teachers will stoop to just to keep the kids quiet. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stew

Latest posts

Back