Cherry veneer on oak?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xflyman

Reaction score
I recently picked up an old dresser that was advertised as American cherry wood. When I got round to dismantling it, the surface was a veneer but the original wood seems to be oak. Different boards had a USA stamp on them and the hardware was Canadian manufacture. I'm not even certain the veneer is cherry. The first photo is part of the frame which I thought would have been some softwood and the other pic is held against the veneer which is a more yellow colour if that makes sense. I say this with the caveat that what I know about furniture manufacture you could write on the inside of a frogs ear with a two inch paint brush.

Attachments

• IMG_20221221_140756[1].jpg
    16 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221221_140731[1].jpg
    19.3 MB · Views: 0
First pic could be oak or ash , second could be cherry but its too light & grey, maybe the article has been bleached or fumed?

It's not a heavy wood and has a lovely sheen after planing. Sadly the top section is particle board which was a real shock as I had cut out a corner section to make sure it was solid wood. All the edging was solid wood and it was this I had cut into thinking I had a nice large board with which to make things. Ah well, win some lose some. Thanks for the answers none the less as there's quite a lot of framing to work with.

The veneer on the second picture looks like Birch to me. The board you're holding looks like maple, if it's light it may be one of the soft maples.

I agree with kinverkid, Solid timber likely Tulip/Poplar. It has that slight tinge of green, some tulip boards have a pronounced green colouring. I have used this timber in making solid wooden door frames for kitchens that were to be painted. Moulds cleanly and was a good timber to work. I also used it for edge mouldings that were veneered over, to give a strong edge. I agre that the veneer looks like ash or maple.

Latest posts

Back