Removing oak veneer on solid oak shelf

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was the point that concerned me - I suppose if you made the Shipley booking through eBay, they may help, otherwise, they won‘t/couldn’t. Anyway, why not initiate the refund asap?

Obviously we don't know all the facts and can only chip in.

Cheers
Hey, just a quick update. Called eBay for several hours today and got passed from agent to agent and finally to a manager. And nope, they're very strict on not covering refunds involving third-party couriers (e.g. Shiply). I guess it's obvious in hindsight that they wouldn't cover courier fees that are arranged for collection in person items. Learning new things everyday!

Disinterior, John Brown and Adam, I agree with you all now that the OP has provided the necessary relevant information.

My comments were based on the information provided up to the time of posting. I assumed that as the vendor had accepted the return and Ebay had taken on the buyer’s case that there was more to the story. It appears there was, and now that the OP has belatedly provided the relevant information the issue is clearer.

My mistake for allowing myself to be side-tracked.

Was the item listed with the only delivery option as "collection in person"?

I suspect it may have been.

If I was selling somthing under those terms, and someone chose to send a courier, I think it would be difficult for them to demand me to cover the charges, ESPECIALLY if I had, in writing, started some amount of uncertainty as to the composition.

Buyer can not have it both ways. I suspect the negotiation to allow a courier was done outside of the listing terms (fair enough) as was the additional information as to the uncertainty of the composition.

One can not be used to advantage whilst the other discarded.

I'm sure the seller would give a full refund on the price of the goods, if the goods were delivered back to them. I think that's probably the most that can be asked for.

As stated above, I do feel that it's a bit of a moot point anyway. Looks like oak, performs (probably better) like oak, requires the owner to even ask on a wood forum as to if it is solid oak, as they can't be certain...

I mean, if it were me, I'd just use it. Maybe take a bit of a good will gesture from the seller, but I'm really not sure how many hours I'd spend on the phone to ebay trying to battle for a refund of postage on an item (that I suspect was) listed as "collection in person"

To the op - was it listed as "collection in person" with further negotiations to allow a courier? Please be clear.

No, I wasn't seeking a refund of the original shipping costs from the seller, but from eBay. The agent I first spoke to suggested that eBay's courtesy team can look into this (didn't even know this team existed!).

I think it's easier if I just posted the eBay listing here: Solid Oak Bookshelf or Room Divider or Both. | eBay

It's indeed a collection in person for this sort of thing, with the added detail that "buyer welcome to arrange own courier" in the listing description. And yes, after seeing "solid oak" throughout the listing and the description, I further clarified about its exact composition in our eBay messages prior to purchase (see post #36).

I ended up accepting a partial refund of £55, it's probably the best outcome really. I agree that I'll just use it for now until I see something else that comes along.

Thanks for all of your help!

Back