Cherry staining.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arckivio

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Have a weird issue & wondered if anyone can help.

I was given some cherry logs & took some bits when a tree fell during winds last year. They all start as normal biscuit colour with some orange/pinkish streaks, by the time I've finished turning all the heartwood has turned to black streaks running all the way through. Does anyone know what might cause this? Cheers

Fungal growth perhaps? (mould) I gathered a sycamore which was blown down during the infamous "hurricane bawbag" less than a week after it came down. This was painted on the ends with PVA and stored under my workbench. Every piece I have turned has started out looking beautifully white(ish) and had then developed black streaks a day or so after finishing. I was told this was mould spores reacting to air/light getting in and starting to multiply.

Tazmaniandevil":16e00giw said:
Fungal growth perhaps? (mould) I gathered a sycamore which was blown down during the infamous "hurricane bawbag" less than a week after it came down. This was painted on the ends with PVA and stored under my workbench. Every piece I have turned has started out looking beautifully white(ish) and had then developed black streaks a day or so after finishing. I was told this was mould spores reacting to air/light getting in and starting to multiply.
That explanation does make sense, although on all my cherry it seems to occur while turning!!! It still looks ok, just not what you expect cheer to look like. Doesn't seem like there's much I can do. Thanks for your thoughts.

If the wood has dried out - I don't know to what percentage - I doubt the cause will be fungus which needs moisture to survive.
I've posted this link before about Dr Sara Robinson & spalting/fungi
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZUir8hWvnI

With white woods, especially holly, it is recommended to dry/store them upright to prevent the colour change which occurs if the wood is laid horizontally - but I've not heard that about cherry.

Robbo3":10azaef2 said:
If the wood has dried out - I don't know to what percentage - I doubt the cause will be fungus which needs moisture to survive.
I've posted this link before about Dr Sara Robinson & spalting/fungi
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZUir8hWvnI

With white woods, especially holly, it is recommended to dry/store them upright to prevent the colour change which occurs if the wood is laid horizontally - but I've not heard that about cherry.

Will read the article when I get back from work. My cherry logs are definitely not dry as they are only about 6 months old and 20 to 35cm in diameter so fungi spores seems the most likely culprit

Hi it is possibly sap stain the same as the blue/grey streaks you see in Northfolk Pine and light coloured woods.There is a product that you can apply to the wood as soon as possible after it has been cut. There is a company I think in Liverpool called Osmose there web site is www.osmose.co.uk if you google anti sap stain you will find a New Zealand company Osmose who are leaders in the anti sap stain field hope this is of some help Cheers Roger C

Roger C":34v9hmlc said:
Hi it is possibly sap stain the same as the blue/grey streaks you see in Northfolk Pine and light coloured woods.There is a product that you can apply to the wood as soon as possible after it has been cut. There is a company I think in Liverpool called Osmose there web site is http://www.osmose.co.uk if you google anti sap stain you will find a New Zealand company Osmose who are leaders in the anti sap stain field hope this is of some help Cheers Roger C
Thanks for that, I will have a look. The staining In the cherry is in the heartwood but this osmose gear might help with the laburnum I have.

Back