Staining Mahogany black/white...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamL

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm starting a build that requires me to stain some Mahogany to a black and some to a white finish (mimicking ivory and ebony). I want to use Mahogany so suggestions of other materials aren't the priority - I'm interested in stains first. I tried some rubio monocoat in black and another in white, at the recommendation of a staff member of Axminster and it just acted like a clear finish and done nothing to the colour - Both the black and the white looked almost the same. I feel I'm missing something... Any help would be wonderful - I have minimal experience with stains.

All the best, thanks.

I have just made a desk with a black frame, I played with a few options but ended up with a coat of india ink, cover with some clear Osmo 420 UV oil. It came out lovely and black. Can't help on the white, perhaps look into oxalic acid which is often used to bleach timber.

139730-IMG-2976.jpeg

Osmo do white stains, there are a few some with more tint than others. If you apply it thick it will give you a denser color but not the nicest finish. They also have black equivalents. Neither will make it look like ebony or ivory though.
PXL_20230215_134649271.PORTRAIT.jpg

You can't stain wood white!

Either you bleach it to a whitish brown, or apply white pigment (aka paint) to it to cover up its colour.

Indian ink, or alcohol soluble black dye, can give a decent black.
Thanks very much and the other posters... Maybe another material is needed then at least for the white. Indian ink looks great though.

Thank you!

Maybe look into finding some holly. It's a very pale wood and combine it with a white stain to make it even more pale and it could be close enough to white. Oxalic acid probably won't do much to help, I've used it to remove minor water marks in wood but I wouldn't say there's much of a bleaching effect with regards to colour. Other than that, paint will be your only option but you will need a few of coats to cover mahogany.

The most powerful bleaching agents are "Two-part" wood bleaches available from Polish Merchants (that's merchants who sell polishes, not Poland!). It is also possible to use oxalic acid to speed up the task. Definitely a PPE task (rubber gloves etc.). Often used in antique furniture restoration.

I have just made a desk with a black frame, I played with a few options but ended up with a coat of india ink, cover with some clear Osmo 420 UV oil. It came out lovely and black. Can't help on the white, perhaps look into oxalic acid which is often used to bleach timber.

139730-IMG-2976.jpeg
May I ask what have you used to apply the ink? Brush on?

Back