Checking Diagonals, version II

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niki

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry for that

When I was looking at the pictures, I said to myself that it would be better if I glue another "fence on the other side and have even easier operation.

Because some 80 members already saw the post and I don't like them to miss it, I'm posting the version II in a new post .

Please go here

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/checking-diagonal-version-iv.13316/
Sorry
niki

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Niki

Its a good idea as always from you :)

I was looking at it and you could put in two dowels on the inside ( one in each end, fitting in to a slot.

Say a 6mm dowel with a 6mm with a 7mm slot in each side and if the dowel is not glued in, it can be changed if it wares out.

I hope the is clear

I do one or two for myself :wink:

Thank you Colin

Sorry, I could not imagine it.

All the idea is to make it cheap and effective.

I can change the "non fenced strip" to a longer or shorter one for different lengths of carcass.

Maybe after you make it, you can post a picture.

niki

Hi Niki

As I will be making a few unit doors soon ( about 10-12 but not all at once ).
I might as well make it tomorrow.

I will show the picture when its done :)
Plus it can still have changeable side for different sizes come to think of it.

Its a gauge stick, used to check that the diagonals on rectangular openings are the same. If they are then the assembly is 'square'. :D

I don't think your stupid, always ask if you don't know, much better than sitting there wondering whats going on. :-k

tiler99":u1nxw8r2 said:
Sorry to be stupid but.....what is it?

tiler99

Its for checking the diagonal when you are making door or carcases so that they are square.

Hi Tiler99

I will just make it more pictorial.

Its two sticks, sharp at the edges and when you glue a carcass and you want to check if it is square, you spread the sticks to fit the diagonal like in the first picture and clamp the sticks so they will not move.

Than, you take the sticks, still clamped, and you put them at the opposite diagonal like in the second picture. If they fit perfectly, the carcass is square.

BTW, Stupid is one that does not know and does not ask, you don't fall in this category.

niki

11-1.jpg

12-1.jpg

You can also use it as an internal measuring stick for the inside of say an alcove and mark off directly onto you stock.

Slightly off topic. Does anyone remember a similar thing that was posted not that long ago. A stick pointed at each end with another stick connected to the first that when placed into the corner indicated whether the corner was square or not. If so do you know where it is. I can't find it and would like to build one.

Why not just unscrew an extending aerial from an old radio and use that? Pretty accurate and no need to make anything.

Or pinch one from your other halfs car?

A prob with the telescopic radio antenna is that it sometimes won't get right into the corner (On small stuff) the poster hanger thingy looks better in that respect.

I made a thing to check diagonals & internals from surplus plastic conduit (The type which has a 'u' shape base fixed to wall & a lid that 'snaps' on.) You just slide the lid & base apart to get the length, same prob' as above 'tho when checking diagonals. Quite good for 'internal' meusurements however.

Niki's little gizmo has a lot going for it:-
a) Pointy ends get into corners
b) Can be made to suit the size you most often need
c) Made of wood

Losos":2qb8zgka said:
A prob with the telescopic radio antenna is that it sometimes won't get right into the corner
Simple - bust off the end and flatten it :wink:

To be honest quite a lot of the time I use one of two sets of pinch rods made with Veritas bar gauge heads, but that was just reckless spending and not necessary. But they are wood. :D

Cheers, Alf

Back