cheapo pillar drill opinions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one from Lidl/Aldi a few months back to try doing some kitchen doors.

I gave up after 2 attempts and bought a pillar drill from machine mart during their vat free weekends.

However take my experience with a pinch of salt as I am a newbie and my setup probably wasn't very efficient.

I hope this helps

Gareth

Just as a thought, watch ebay and gumtree.
I bought one of these

D9406_186886_00
For £15 second hand. Ok, theyre not amazing but not bad either. Much better than one of those stands IMO.

I've used similar drill stands. They're OK for light work, but only as precise as your drill's chuck.
One annoying draw back is how loud a normal handheld drill is and how awkward it is to turn on and off.

If you've space and budget, even a cheap pillar drill is much nicer to use.

Been using a Lidl one for about 7 years--- does the job--- I need guaranteed 90 degree drilling using a 1 mm bit and it does this as well as using Hole Saws and Fostner bits

Not the best bit of kit but good enough

Last year I picked up Fobco Star for £80. I wouldn't swap it for a new one that costs ten times as much. Works perfectly in every way and is a real joy to use.

Yes those drill drill stands are only for the needy - very noisy, and limited use. You only have to spend a little more for a 2nd hand pillar drill. My NUtool was £50 on ebay and is fine and accurate.

In the days of the single speed Black and Decker D500 (3/8" chuck), this stand would have been the bees knees. How we have moved on. I no longer use my 5 1/4" circular saw attachment, nor the drill stands or sanding attachment, or even the drill for that matter. And as for the lathe attachment, what a load of excrement.

K

I once had a cheap drill stand much like the one linked from the opening post. In my opinion they are a waste of money. The pillar itself is not very robust, so there is a lot of flexing as you apply pressure with the arm. There is slop in the slide mechanism, so hole doesn't end up where you expect it to be. And like Rossydd says, they are noisy & awkward.

Even a cheap pillar drill will be WAY better. My pillar drill comes from Lidl - cost about £50 as I recall a few years ago - and it was a revelation : quiet (induction motor), powerful (500W), easty to use, and quite accurate enough for woodworking use.

If you can't get hold of the lidl one, I highly recommend a Rexon.

I had ordered a Jet for about 130, hoping that it would be a step above the 60-80 8" clones. It wasn't - just cheap and nasty.

I ordered a Rexon DP2300 which was reduced to 95 at the time. Night and day better - castings of great quality, no play in it, decent quality fittings.

http://www.rexonspares.co.uk/9-230mm-be ... laser.html

I bought a cheap but big Axichiwanese model. It is the only thing I have ever bought that I wish I sent back. It is enormous and very inaccurate. For a start there is nothing to hold the alignment so when you wind the table up and down it rotates around the pillar. The pulley cover had more dints and does not fit. The speed change is a faff so I tend not to do it. That said the actual drill shaft and chuck are fine.

Latest posts

Back