UJK Drill guide vs pillar drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philw

Established Member
Reaction score
I own a cheapo park side pillar drill that mostly sits under my bench to save space in my single garage shop.
Wondering if I cash it in and upgrade to a UJK drill guide would I be losing anything? What’s the quality like on the drill guide?

just had a look at the drill guide mentioned......
I bet it's more wobbly than the piller drill u have.....
stick with the pillar drill....dont waste ur money.......

I own a cheapo park side pillar drill that mostly sits under my bench to save space in my single garage shop.
Wondering if I cash it in and upgrade to a UJK drill guide would I be losing anything? What’s the quality like on the drill guide?

I have to say my inclination is the same as clogs above. Yes I'm sure you can find plenty of edge cases where that would be a better option but you often don't realise one of the more subtle benefits of a pillar drill until you're back to hand drilling... You don't have to repeatedly lift, move and plonk down the weight of the drill.

Yes it probably sounds pathetic but I swear I notice it when it comes up and fatigue is an enemy of accuracy.

Are you referring to a drill review guide on here or a guide for a drill bit?

It's well made but really only suited to times when you can't bring the wood to the tool.
Accuracy suffers as you have to align the entire thing above where you want the hole (every darned time) for one thing and you miss out on using a fence and stop for repeatability.
The length of travel isn't that much so hole depth and length of bits suffer too.
It's a handy tool for very specific jobs but that's about it. If you want a portable drill guide you'd likely be better served with the Woodpecker version which has rods with stops for quick repeatable tasks. It's stupidly expensive and has been "cloned" on "eastern sites" for much less though...

I've had a carppy piller drill and replaced it with the green Bosch PBD40 and it's night and day better. Maybe worth a look?

If bench space is a premium, you can save a bit by sinking the drill press into the bench so the top of its base casting is flush with the bench top*. Raise the movable table up until it touches the chuck, rotate it away from whichever side you are working on and the whole length of the bench is still available to you. You lose a tiny bit of front to back space, occupied by the drill press column.

* or even sub-flush and a plywood cover over it.

I bought the UJK Drill Guide after toying with the idea of the Bosch PBD40, as mentioned by Nelsun. However, almost every time I’ve gone to use it, what I’m really in need of is a pillar drill. The fact that it’s portable hasn’t really come into its own either.
On reflection, I do not need the variable angle + the degree markings are a bit crude and there is no positive stop for zero degrees!
Also, unless you plan on using a decent 12v drill/driver, which is nice and lightweight, then any 18v drill/driver with a 4.0ah batt, for example, is going to topple over every day of the week.

If I was going to buy similar again, then I would get the DrillPro upgraded rigid Wood Peckers knock-off from Banggood, for £85. I have bought over a dozen times from Banggood, and while it takes weeks to ship, I have been happy with everything purchased (t-rules, rail clamps, jigs etc), as machining and materials have always been more than satisfactory.

The issue I have at the moment is that I have my grandfather's Progress junior bench drill in my 8x6' workshop, on a cart. I'm redesigning the whole workshop and am thinking of moving the drill on to another home as it takes up too much space.

I had been thinking about the UJK Drill Guide, but after comments here by Nelsun and Herr Nilsson, I think that might not be the solution that I'm after.

The Bosch PBD40 seems to be a more sensible idea, as it will be light enough to move around easily.

Back