Cheapo No 2 morse Steb

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks pretty good value even with the P&P. but I will stick with my chuck mounted version and continue to look for a smaller version of that as well :)

There is something seriously wrong if a Sorby Steb centre 1 1/4" MT2 costs £50 inclusive of VAT and p&p from a UK supplier and you can get what appears to be the equivalent on ebay from USA for less than £20 incl p&p.

Brian

I just looked on an American site and the revolving steb centre for the tailstock with a mt2 taper is just under£24 OK you have to add P & P

Woodmonkey":2u9y0tu4 said:
Rearrange the following words into a well known phrase or saying: off, rip...
It's much the same across here where some of the retail outlets tend to price themselves out of the market. You can put up with a certain amount of profit but when the price is double even allowing for postage, it takes a very rich or incredibly loyal customer to keep returning in the knowledge that it's far cheaper just by clicking the mouse.

finneyb":31y0rxqb said:
There is something seriously wrong if a Sorby Steb centre 1 1/4" MT2 costs £50 inclusive of VAT and p&p from a UK supplier and you can get what appears to be the equivalent on ebay from USA for less than £20 incl p&p.

Brian
I agree. It seems some manufacturers (are they actually making stuff or is it bought in I wonder?) get a name and trade heavily on it. Gullible folk assume the item must be the best purely because of the name and are prepared to pay up without checking the market. Of course this isn't always the case and some high priced famous name stuff is the best.

I hate to pour cold water on things but the Stebbings patent I referenced in another thread effectively means that it is a civil offence to even import these into the country for personal use without a license from the patent holder. It's unlikely to be worth their while but you could be sued for damages by the patent holder. We are the only country for which this applies.

I agree that Sorby are taking the proverbial with their pricing of Stebs but in February next year the patent will expire and we'll be free to receive these imports or make our own. With a bit of luck Axi will start to make something similar or better on their CNC machines.

The patent covers the spring loaded centre point and the drive teeth in a ring.

HTH
Jon

Hi all,
I seem to have unintentionally touched a nerve. It is we who determine the price of anything that has no or little intrinsic value, steel is cheap.The price of such goods is dictated by demand, either real or perceived.
This item is not he same as the one marketed by a well known manufacturer/supplier, the teeth are unidirectional and may not be much good in reverse but hey ho, we are grown ups aren't we and this item covers most of the bases. Honi soit qui mal y pens (Honest work killed many a po--e).

regards to all
Paul

Hi Paul,
You've not touched a nerve with me.

There is an interesting paradox here. We are a creative country and our inventors deserve to be rewarded and the patent process is there to allow this to happen for up to 20 years.

In this instance though, we, UK turners, are actually penalized because one of our own created a good product which was only patented in the UK and so can be copied cheaply abroad and bought legally by overseas turners but not us. Granted this has only really happened in the last few years.

The item you linked to is still covered by the Stebbings patent from my reading of it - even though Sorby's copyright has been protected by tweaking a few things in the design such as the unidirectional teeth.

Jon

Rhossydd":3u5i6veb said:
Dalboy":3u5i6veb said:
just under£24 OK you have to add P & P
Plus duty and VAT.

The first eBay item mentioned is so cheap it avoids duty & VAT.
Probably better to wait tip next year if you don't want the boys in blue knocking on your door ( as if ) but the ebay ad said that there would be no duty payable .

marcros":3n8irrkc said:
i have just seen that the 1MT 1/2" version is only $5!

Pray tell where???

The 1st Steb I had was changed because the teeth were worn to round. First they tried to tell me that it was because I had touched them with a gouge/skew or similar, but I hadn't. Eventually they changed it. It was well under a year old and I am a hobby turner.

I would be very interested if anyone knows of the 1" jobbie with a 1MT mounting!

Jonzjob":fkd6het4 said:
I would be very interested if anyone knows of the 1" jobbie with a 1MT mounting!
Toolpost do the 1/2 - 7/8 - and 1.1/4 in 1MT. They also do the chuck held version in all sizes and the revolving tail centre version.
All Sorby so not cheap

I mentioned this thread to a friend as he had previously said he might get a Steb centre.
He ordered one from the link in the first post on either the 1st or 2nd of May at a total cost of just under £21 & it arrived on Saturday 10th.
He is well pleased & wished me to pass on his thanks.

Regards
Robbo

chipmunk":2c3ndv6w said:
in February next year the patent will expire and we'll be free to receive these imports or make our own. With a bit of luck Axi will start to make something similar or better on their CNC machines.

If they've got any sense they'll be prototyping now.

I also got mine yesterday, haven't used it yet but feels like very nice quality. What's the grub screw for on the side?

Latest posts

Back