Cheaper v more expensive tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nevs7

Reaction score
Hi. As a hobby woodworker I have bought quite a few tools over the years. Some of them are cheaper brands than others, as I look to see how much use I would need to get out of it against the cost. I have mostly got Bosch or dewalt for the major ones I use daily.

So, I bought a work zone bandsaw model hbs20 as I didn't think I had a lot of use for a bandsaw, which turned out to be true. I used it 2 years ago for the first and only time with a metal cutting blade to cut some 10mm aluminium pieces no problem. I got it out 2 days ago to cut some pine which was 5mm thick changed the blade back to the wood one and it won't cut it.
It starts up fine but won't take any load to the blade. I got a new capacitor thinking that's the problem, no difference.
I have taken the motor apart (its a brushless 350w motor runs on 230v house mains) can't see any issues with it. Back on the machine together and spins freely, still the same starts, runs, bogs down under the slightest of loads.
checked the manual, its says it might not be getting enough power, so tried sockets numerous times, no difference

Went on to scheppach/workzone website to look for a replacement motor, costs more than the equivalent bandsaw itself.

Long post sorry but just wanted to give a little back story

Has anyone had similar that they can point me in the right direction of a fix.

I am at a loss of what to do if it can't be fixed. Buy a more expensive reliable new one and use every 2 yrs or buy cheap again

I would really appreciate a help

Might sound a dumb question but have to ask.....is the blade the right way round with the teeth pointing down?

If a bandsaw blades gets turned inside out the teeth will be upside down, often catches people out, apologies if I'm insulting your intelligence 🤔

Might sound a dumb question but have to ask.....is the blade the right way round with the teeth pointing down?

If a bandsaw blades gets turned inside out the teeth will be upside down, often catches people out, apologies if I'm insulting your intelligence 🤔
Is that possible? Would the teeth be on the back rather than upside down?

Thankyou for the replies

paulbarnard:~ It has had 2 new capacitors fitted in case one new one was faulty but its is still the same

Doug 71:~ You are definitely not insulting my intelligence, I did make sure the blade was the correct way round although I do make mistakes like that now and again :~)

Its definitely the motor. I can easily stop it turning by hand with light pressure. I can find any help online with this specific problem

Its definitely the motor. I can easily stop it turning by hand with light pressure. I can find any help online with this specific problem
A clear indicator. With your costs, looks like a new saw, if you want to go that route.
IMHO you got a friday machine, I would hope even cheap saws would last longer than that.
You decide if you want to go for a better machine.

A clear indicator. With your costs, looks like a new saw, if you want to go that route.
IMHO you got a friday machine, I would hope even cheap saws would last longer than that.
You decide if you want to go for a better machine.
Thats what I was thinking, but seems a waste as its only been used once.

I will have to weigh up my options, use against cost

If a bandsaw blades gets turned inside out the teeth will be upside down, often catches people out,
Come on hands up all those that have done this when they first got involved with a bandsaw, learning that knack with folding the blades can be fun. It is much like dealing with the coil spring in the pull cord starter of many horticultural machines. I remember watching a video of how it is done and then getting in a tangle whilst attempting it and as for just dropping it to unwind for use well not good when it is round your leg.

‘Buy cheap buy twice’ I’m afraid.

You should try the ‘buy once, cry once’ next.

Come on hands up all those that have done this when they first got involved with a bandsaw, learning that knack with folding the blades can be fun. It is much like dealing with the coil spring in the pull cord starter of many horticultural machines. I remember watching a video of how it is done and then getting in a tangle whilst attempting it and as for just dropping it to unwind for use well not good when it is round your leg.
I can only fold my bandsaw blades by accident. I eventually get it done, but never seen to remember how.

Back