Cheap Biscuit Jointer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smudger

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anybody seen/used the Power Plus biscuit jointer sold by Rutlands? Would it do for occasional and non-critical use?
I used to have an old Ferm, which I use about twice a year, but when I was cleaning it today a chunk of casting fell out of the mechanism. So it might be time to look for a replacement. I don't want or need an expensive jobby - so it's between the Erbauer at Screwfix and the Power Plus. Any advice gladly received and thanks in advance.

My only experience of low cost biscuit jointers has been from Wickes - their 'professional' range. It did a rubbish job. Badly aligned, poor repeatability, and even the blade only lasted for about 12 cuts.

However, if all you need is the occasional non-critical use wouldn't any cheap tool do the job?

I bought a cheap Biscuit jointer, after a while, i took it back and spent £150 on a Freud which is (more or less) a replica of the Lamello - and is superbly made and very accurate.

I would avoid cheap ones - I only use the Freud 2-3 times a year (not a fan of biscuits), but glad bought it

"If" you decide to buy the Rutland's one(same machine) it's cheaper at toolstation.com under their Powerplusxtools. :wink:
Although their site seems to be on the blink at the moment :?

When I wanted a biscuit jointer a year or two ago I read reviews in mags, ( before I joined this forum ) The one sold by Machine mart came out tops, way ahead of better known brands and on about £65:00
Sure enough its proven itself to be a solid performer, easy to use, easy and accurate to set. Couldnt wish for a better machine for the money.
Model is BJ600 and its definitely worth a look.

I bought a cheapo biscuit jointer from Wickes and I've used it on one project and found it coped admirably. I have no experience of the more expensive ones, but for functional rather than super-precision work I think it was money well spent.

i got the aldi one, and it works alright. the up and down adjuster not good on mine but i think thats just mine and never bothered to take it back, still works alright

I've also got a Ferm that I'm looking to offload, if you're interested. :wink:

It doesn't suit me anymore as I'm finding a need to use it more and more often. So, I saved up and went for a second-hand Makita recently which I've found to be excellent. :)

Can't understand why nobody's come up with a cordless model yet though.

Thanks all. I've had a really good report on the Trend, so I'm looking for the Freud which is the T20 rebadged for about £108. Except they are proving hard to find! There is one on eBay and they are on sale at Toolstation, a company I've never used.
Are they OK? A sort of junior Screwfix?

Toolstation are a very good company in my experience. I've never had a problem with an order and they are quick on delivery, although I've used them less than Screwfix (inertia/smaller range).

The similarity to Screwfix is not a coincidence, the owners set up Toolstation after selling Screwfix to Kingfisher (and waiting a while for their restrictive convenants to expire).

It may be too late but I picked up a freud from the B&Q clearance for £75 only a couple of weeks ago, could be worth looking there. :wink:

If got the Erbauer one from screwfix, mainly to see if biscuit jointing would work for a job before considering buying a better one. It's the only biscuit jointed I've used so I can't compare it to anything else.

It seems ok. The most annoying thing is when you back it out of the cut all the muck comes straight out the slot for the spindle into your face. It's also the heaviest being based on an angle grinder body which would make it tiring for constant use. It's one of the most powerful motors - sledge hammer to crack a nut?

chicken_house_man":f2iao6db said:
The most annoying thing is when you back it out of the cut all the muck comes straight out the slot for the spindle into your face.
It sounds like the duct that the shavings should leave by is blocked? Does the machine have a bag that is supposed collect the dust, it may be worth taking it of and checking the hole with a bit of wire. You will of course have unplugged the machine from the mains before checking.

Thanks Dave. I have check - the problem seems to be it clogs up straight away so it uses the only available exit.

At under £40 what can I expect! If i'd spent 4 or 5 times that and had to chew on bits of wood i'd be a little more upset.

I use the Axminster White model. The adjustment is a PITA but once set, it's repeatable accuracy is good, it cuts perfect slots, and the bits always line up well. I think the ease and accuracy of setting and fine adjustment, not to mention a decent cutter, sets the higher priced stuff apart from the cheapies, rather than slot cutting ability. I still wouldn't buy dirt cheap though. I've used a range of Ferm tools and most are pretty awful.

Ike

I have the Freud (JS102) - it's ok but the adjustable fence on mine isn't good - it's hard to get it parallel to the base. I don't use that fence much - prefer to register to the base - far more accurate.
The Trend is pretty much identical but when I looked at it after I purchased my Freud - I thought it was better finished plus it came with a far better manual (which you can download from heir website). This was a good few years ago so maybe things have changed.
Cheers
Gidon

My wife bought me that model for Christmas some years ago Ike and it has done sterling service in that time.
I find that it needs the slides cleaning from time to time to stop them sticking otherwise very good.

Back