Charnwood w721 or record bs250

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wombunk

Reaction score
Firstly hi to everyone, this is the first of what I hope will be many posts. I've messed around for a few years building guitars but have always just struggled using a jigsaw for my sawing needs , I have now decided it's time to invest in a Bandsaw, I've very limited space only having an 8x6 shed and an even more limited budget of £300 or there abouts. Whilst I know buying used would be best I struggle collecting and installing anything of size due to a disability so for ease I think I'm best buying new. So I think I've narrowed it down to the charnwood w721 or the record bs250 although I'm open to other suggestions, so can any one offer any input, thanks in advance.

The Record BS250 is a better buy in my opinion. It also has the backing of a 5 year guarantee and if you buy when a sale or tool show is running, like Yandles this week, you could also get a discount and delivery.
Malcolm

Cheers malcom, I am leaning that way just because of the 5 year warranty, I'm just a little concerned it will be under powered.

Even smaller machines can work well as long as you have a good blade (Tuffsaw) and don't rush. Are there any particular thicknesses of timber that you need to cut? Even the neck of the guitar should not pose a problem if you move at an appropriate speed. Problems are often caused by pushing the work too hard, let the blade do its job and you should be fine.

When you know enough members local to you, there should always be someone able to help out if you get stuck.
Malcolm

Alexam":p9cxyjzu said:
The Record BS250 is a better buy in my opinion. It also has the backing of a 5 year guarantee and if you buy when a sale or tool show is running, like Yandles this week, you could also get a discount and delivery.
Malcolm

Or
Harrogate in November

Hi Wombunk,

Welcome to the forum.

The Record 250 is a good little machine provided you work to well within it's limitations, and it's suitable for a small workshop. I bought a slight upgrade to the original fence from Axminster which is OK but it does need checking from time to time. Once set up and with a good blade I find it cuts accurately.

John

If you are in a rush and cannot get to a show, telephonel the Record rep at the show and he may do the deal without you attending?

looks like the record then, thanks to everyone for your advice.
How much would I get knocked off at the show do you think, I'm an impatient sort of bloke and my hand is hovering over one on Amazon for £248.

Based on the evidence of users from this forum (massive) the RP machines get generally positive reviews, the Charnwood machines generally get slammed for shoddy workmanship and poor after sales service.

Random Orbital Bob":3p32obzr said:
Based on the evidence of users from this forum (massive) the RP machines get generally positive reviews, the Charnwood machines generally get slammed for shoddy workmanship and poor after sales service.

In the interests of fairness the first part of that statement is certainly true.
I see no evidence of the second part though.
In my personal real live and actual experience, Charnwood after sales was excellent.

I have to agree with the above statement i have a Charnwood table saw, sliding compound saw and a planer thicknesser, and up to now which is about 12 months i have had no probs, i purchased ball these items from Yandles who were great, gave me free delivery and i live in Ireland.

Back